Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

sidecar build

I am building an offroad type sidecar for my 2016 Honda NC700X. Most of what I read indicates to build a leaner car the pivot points need to be under the bike along the centerline. It would be much simpler if the pivot points were offset from the centerline toward the car. Does anyone have any experience with doing it this way. It does not look to be a problem for a modest offset but I am not sure as yet.

jwhat

You would put an offset load onto the frame...ride-ability would suffer a lot. If too far offset, perhaps even make the rig unride-able.
But I never used a leaner rig. So get better founded answers to your question.
Sven

jwhat,

you are right in that all successful leaner rigs have the pivot points inline with the bike tires. Also double check if the front pivot should be higher than the back pivot, or vice versa? A higher front pivot point will push or pull the SC wheel in the direction of the turn.

Most of the ones I have seen are road bikes. Because of the loss of ground clearance? Or too much flex for off road trails.

The pivot points have to be strong enough to handle the stress as those are only two points on connection. Any failure at those points could be disastrous.

Good luck with the build. Post photos of your progress.

CCjon

For off road use, I would not want to do a leaner. Ridged sidecars work great off road and as they do not fall over all you need to is make sure that you can keep moving forward. If you are going to do a leaner you want the pivot points as near to the center of the bike as possible and as close to the ground as possible assuming you are planning on having the bike lean and not the sidecar. The further off the ground and the more away from the center the more you will be dragging the sidecar sideways when you turn. Might not be much of a problem off pavement however on pavement it could be a real issue. If you are planning on having both the bike and the sidecar lean you have an entire different set off issues to deal with however it still holds true that you want the pivots in the same location. If you make the front pivot slightly higher then the rear when you do lean you will also be adding a bit of toe in or out depending on which way you are turning which can help handling. It sounds to me like you have little to no sidecar experience. You should consider going with the tried and true non leaning sidecar. Much simpler, works great off road then once you have tried it you could consider adapting it to be a leaner however I suspect that you will not want to.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

What Jay says +++