Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Side winds

I was on the DR650 with Ural today. The Honda has a flat tire and I needed to go to town for a new tube.
This is a light weight rig and does not do well in strong side winds.
Had to go to Kona (about 60miles south )today.
It was misty when I left Hawi and gusty by the time I was 3 miles out of town.
By the time I passed Mahukona the side winds were trying to unseat me from the bike and it was difficult to control much less hold a straight line. Side winds were gusting to 35 knots or more. I was down to 35 to 40 MPH and on occasion down to 20 mph and fighting for progress.
I gassed up at Kawaihae and went on thinking it might be a good thing to stop at the side of the road and load 150 pounds of lava rock into the side car for stability. Then I saw her. Huge back pack and thumb out, gorgeous looking young lady! Being the chivalrous soul I am, I stopped and offered, she accepted with a distinctly European accent that I first thought was German but was not sure. I tied her cargo on the rack and she got in. I was having dejavue thoughts of the super model from last month as we rolled away.

The extra weight stabilized the machine nicely and we rolled on at about 50 MPH.
30 miles later I rolled into the check in area of the Kona airport. I borrowed her camera and took a couple of photos for her. We unloaded her gear and she told me she was Swiss and had been backpacking around the island and now was to catch a plane for Kauai. She gave me a hug and a kiss and said she would send me email photos when she could.
Why do these things only happen to me now that I am too old to take advantage of them?

Sasquatch Jim
BTW she was the prettiest ballast weight at a time when most needed.

Phelonius - 3/16/2011 1:03 AM

I was on the DR650 with Ural today.... and said she would send me email photos when she could.

Phel, you are such a courteous fellow. 😉 But remember the new saying, especially among the Ural pilots: No pics? It didn't happen. 🙂

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Sounds to me like Pelee sent her to keep you from swiping her rocks and getting into big trouble.
It's not nice to take Pelees' stuff.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 3/16/2011 12:56 PM

Sounds to me like Pelee sent her to keep you from swiping her rocks and getting into big trouble.

Lonnie

🙂 Haaa, haaha! Word!

Hack'n - 3/16/2011 9:56 AM

Lonnie

I have great respect for Ms. Pelee. I would have brought them back on the return trip.
But this is not one I would try to move. It was carried to this place by The great Kamehameha himself
uphill for several miles. Fact, not legend. For size reference my walking cane is 42 inches high.

He was indeed a powerful man. when a young man he moved a stone in Hilo that is estimated to weigh
7,000 pounds. Hawaiian prophecy said that who ever could move the stone would rule Hawaii. Any applicant who tried and failed was executed. I guess that would be considered before making the effort. The stone is still on display
in Hilo. It is called the Naha stone.

Phelonius

"One Man Rocks" were definitely a bit larger in the old days.

L.

Hack'n - 3/16/2011 5:49 PM

L.

Those old polynesians before white men saw them were probably the strongest race of men on earth.
Amazing what booze and a few diseases can do to ruin things.

Phelonius

Phelonius - 3/17/2011 2:37 AM

Hack'n - 3/16/2011 5:49 PM

L.

Those old polynesians before white men saw them were probably the strongest race of men on earth.
Amazing what booze and a few diseases can do to ruin things.

Phelonius

civilization?