Notifications
Clear all

Shoulder Surgery is done

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Walked in at 0545. Wheel chaired out the door (policy) at 1100. Left all the Pain meds they offered there.
Feel better than I have in a few years already. Follow up is the 16th. Until then no riding , no lifting more than 10 pounds That goes for either arm until then Doc will review restriction going forward.

Posted : June 2, 2022 12:27 pm
(@aceinsav)

Good to hear it went smoothly, follow the Dr. suggestions and give yourself proper time to heal 

Posted : June 3, 2022 2:14 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

On the 2017 I had 6 degree rake. The current setup works well . However it can at times take a bit more energy to steer. Decided yesterday to have Hannigan CNC a tree with 6 degree rake.  I will run down there and have them install it.  Not messing with the install myself right now.

Told them we would figure out a date to do install after Doctors appointment June 16th.

Posted : June 10, 2022 6:23 am
(@don)

A person I know recently had shoulder surgery.  He said it was a reverse procedure in which the ball and socket positions were reversed.  He's had a very good recovery.

I've never changed the rake on my bike.  Most of the time I get along fine the way it is, but on May 28 my wife and I rode less than 200 miles in a strong wind.  The wind was from the south, so that riding west was a bear.  My electric lean didn't have enough adjustment to making going west comfortable.  Perhaps I can reset the position of the control arm on the torsion bar to get more lift of the sidecar.

Posted : June 10, 2022 6:45 am
(@al-olme2)

Claude Stanley used those heavy duty tarp bungees from the windward side of the handlebars to some point on the bike to help with staying straight.

A

Posted : June 10, 2022 10:53 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

The steering is not bad on it. But the 2017 was a good bit lighter with the front end work. Happy to have the shoulder fixed . Not will to push my luck and I darn sure and not getting rid of the sidecars yet.

getting it done seems reasonable to me.

Posted : June 10, 2022 11:33 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

The tech is recommending 4 1/2 degree rake for my sidecar and bike. Just called today

Posted : June 13, 2022 8:04 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Time is here to get it done. Rolling out the morning of the 29th. Work is to be done the 0800 the 30th.  Head home when it is done.

I want to ride it down and back. But other responsibilities cut into the time .  About 1,100 miles round trip riding back at night and thunderstorms in forecast make the trailer the smart way to go.

That changed today. Oldest granddaughter said she would care for Payton and give me an extra day. So now I am really tempted to ride. Either way plan is to be out the  driveway 0600 29th.

Posted : August 27, 2022 8:26 am
(@aceinsav)

Glad to hear it went good and you already feel better. Don’t push yourself and over do it while you get healed up 

Posted : August 28, 2022 3:27 am
(@michael-ladue)

@smitty901, have a great ride down to Hannigan, and a better ride back home. Let us know how the return ride went, regarding shoulder, and the newly installed Triple Trees.

I will be at Hannigan myself, on Sept. 12th, and be there for 3 or 4 days, whilst they attach my new gen 3 Dream sidecar to my '19 Wing w/DCT.

Mine will only be a 5,000 mile roundtrip, hitting the Flint Hills Sidecar Rally on the way to Hannigan, and hitting the BMW rally in Hotchkiss, CO on the way home.

Posted : August 28, 2022 6:02 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Quote from FlyinMonkeys on August 28, 2022, 11:02 am

@smitty901, have a great ride down to Hannigan, and a better ride back home. Let us know how the return ride went, regarding shoulder, and the newly installed Triple Trees.

I will be at Hannigan myself, on Sept. 12th, and be there for 3 or 4 days, whilst they attach my new gen 3 Dream sidecar to my '19 Wing w/DCT.

Mine will only be a 5,000 mile roundtrip, hitting the Flint Hills Sidecar Rally on the way to Hannigan, and hitting the BMW rally in Hotchkiss, CO on the way home.

My wife is still pushing me to purchase the Red gen 3 GW with the sidecar mounted already from Hannigan. She brings it up every time we are in the area.

As of now . Thunderstorms down and back. So I am on the fence trailer iss hooked up but bike not loaded yet. Watch time and weather now.

Posted : August 28, 2022 6:41 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Spent last week riding with Friends in TN/KY. A ride we meet for every year. The weather was great until heading home.

Left out at 0300 and pour down rain 530 miles of the ride home.

2,000 miles on the rig with the 4 1/2 degree tree installed. Good to go. The lighter steering at slow speeds does make a difference.

10 spots is misleading. If you stop for gas then move away from the pump it adds a stop more like  5 . So much water on the roads I used the Traction control rain setting for the first time on . Will use it more often now.

Sedici  riding gear did not allow 1 drop of water to reach me.

Posted : September 17, 2022 2:43 am