Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Shoulder Strength

I've ordered a new Motorvation Formula sidecar and will receive it during May 2013. It will be attached, setup, and tuned to my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600, an 800 lb cruiser. Part of the service will include showing me how to ride and get used to the different ways of taking corners and general driving safety. I am not planning on a front wheel modification to get easier steering, but I may not need it anyway. I've never driven a sidecar before and have read that some folks initially have sore or weak shoulders by the time they drive home. My ride home will take about 3 hours to north central Iowa.

I've got about three long trips planned for this summer as usual with the first ride to Estes Park, CO to attend a Vulcan Bagger Association rally in late June. I would attend the USCA Natl. Rally, but had committed to attend the VBA event long ago.

I've ridden MC's for over 30 yrs and want to extend the wind in my face for several more years if I can. I'm 67 now and this big ol' body and legs are not as strong as when I was a young stud. I don't really mind sore muscles that much but I am thinking that I should prepare to be a good long haul hack driver by starting strengh exercises.

Does anyone have comments about how to prepare through exercise? Thanks!

During the off season I work out at a gym 2 to 4 times weekly. Over an hour of weight training after a Qi Gong/Tai Chi warmup to keep my upper body strength and flexibility needed to tour with a sometimes 1,400# Harley/Liberty rig with a monkey.

Lonnie

First, Lonnie knows a lot more about this than I do, so I figure his advice is good stuff.

As you have figured out, the motorcycle experience doesn't really help condition you for sidecar steering, other than your arms will be in the same position at rest when piloting your rig. I also put my first sidecar on a cruiser (Honda Valkyrie) and the trail on cruisers is typically going to mean that you have to put in substantial effort on turning and curves. In addition to the exercise and stretching that you're going to do, I encourage you not to make the decision about whether you'll change the steering until after you have ridden it a while (unless you plan to ride the bike as a 2 wheeler sometimes, which means you won't want to change the steering). If it will be dedicated to sidecar duty, you can try it without the triple tree mods and if you decide that it is more effort than you want, you can always change the steering to make it lighter and still enjoy sidecaring in the wind. I have done both of those things and just enjoy the lighter steering and absence of low speed wobble. On the exercise side, using exercise bands and a twisting motion can be a good exercise for this. Also, you're likely to want to learn to shift your body position on the seat for twisties and some turns so you want to stay flexible enough to do that weight shift rather than just leaning, expecially if you'll be spending some solo time in the saddle.

I would ride the bike as much as you can and work on going around corners faster and faster. This will build your upper body strength. You may also find that the bike is a lot more fun if you do modify the front end. When I have bikes that I have not modified the front end on I also find that my wrists hurt at the end of the day. Usualy I only have bikes with out modified front ends only as we have ran out of time to get the front end done. I then modify the front end as soon afterwards as I can. We can make tree's for your bike but only do it in the slow season which has come and gone this year. So if you want tree's you should order them ASAP.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I agree with Hack'n. hit the gym, 3-4 days a week. Do an overall weight workout, an hour should be sufficient. Start out with light weights and work up to moderately heavier weights.
Ask your gym manager for instruction to get you started. I have been doing this for 31 years now and I am 77. Shoulders still get tired on long rides but not badly.

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations. I know what I need to do now!!

SideCar - 2/28/2013 3:01 PM

On the exercise side, using exercise bands and a twisting motion can be a good exercise for this.

Ditto. Also use bands fore and aft of each hand so that when you twist, one hand will be pulling while the other is pushing.

You can do this working muscle against muscle with no rubber bands.

Charles Atles used to call it "Dynamic Tension"

Lonnie

SideCar - 2/28/2013 4:01 PM
... If it will be dedicated to sidecar duty, you can try it without the triple tree mods and if you decide that it is more effort than you want, you can always change the steering to make it lighter and still enjoy sidecaring in the wind. I have done both of those things and just enjoy the lighter steering and absence of low speed wobble....

This has been my experience too. After installing sidecar appropriate triple trees after 2-1/2+ years, I wondered: What too me so long? Especially as the modification essentially eliminated the slow-speed wobble and the "bump-steer" effect on bumpy roads.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Jeez, you guys are hard core! I just drive the rig till the stiffness goes away and my wife begins salivating at the bulk of my shoulders.

Arnie, (the former Gropenator of California), doesn't seem to have that problem.

In his day Arnie was the king of steroids!!! In spite of that I am an Arnie fan. He used to ride MCs, doubt that he still does.
Driving a hack will build up your triceps too.

I seem to recall the "Governator" had a wreck while hauling his son in a URAL rig a few years back. Big muscles or not isn't the difference. Common sense helps more.

Lonnie

Lonnie, agreed. Ultimately common sense and practice will win every time.

Outch, that with the common sence for Mr. Muskle from Austria, who had to be translated into German because of his soft voice (Wiener Schmäh) sounds to me like a hit below the belt.
To my army time we only were laughing about these strange "films". I guess I myself have seen the first complete around 2000 when I was ill.
Until that I used to say: Life is way better then any film.
And for sure on a rig You live life more intense then anyway else.
What including Mr. Muskle will be able to confirm as Lonnie tells.
Sven

Okay, so I'll let y'all in on a secret here for incredible hand and arm strength. I found it out thanks to a Marine Drill Instructor buddy some 40 or so years ago. Guy was built like a bulldog with a 19-1/2" neck and 50+" chest, just plain powerful. It's so simple it's amazing but I absolutely guarantee you'll be shocked at the effectiveness. The bigger city you live in the better. You'll find out why.

If you don't subscribe already, run down to your closest news stand and grab a newspaper, a weekly edition. Take it home, plop down in a comfortable chair and read what you want, but if there's any good news I'd be surprised. When finished take a single sheet of newspaper by the corner WITH ONE HAND. Now all you have to do is crumple it up, USING ONLY ONE HAND, into a little ball that you can close your fist around. I rather doubt you can make it through page 2 unless you milk a large herd of cows every morning. Doing this daily with progressively more sheets as you gain strength will give you more hand, forearm and even upper arm and shoulder strength than you could ever imagine. It is the only exercise that works every single muscle and sinew in the entire hand and forearm. You can also raise arms to shoulder height to work more muscles.

By the time you're up to a Sunday edition of the LA Times, the whole blasted thing, you'll be able to easily tear telephone books in half without using the tricks to do it! Be careful, because at that point you can also easily break someone's hand when shaking! No, I'm not exaggerating. Back then I was still in the wild and crazy mode and my buddy and I would go hit the bars. I'm a slight build and he'd pick the biggest guys and bet them a $5'er that I could beat them arm wrestling. The other guy didn't have a chance because I would nearly break his hand with my grip before we even started. We made good money, NEVER LOST! My bud could squeeze a sealed beer can, before poptops, and blow the top out of it!

Try it out, you'll be very surprised.

The newspaper method does work. I began doing it about 50 years ago.
By the time I was 35 I could have gotten a job in a slaughterhouse strangling cows.
I had forearms like popeye. Just as well since I was a chief boatswains mate anyway.

Cool, thanks for the feedback on that! It really is amazing for how simple it is and as mentioned, it targets every single muscle in the whole forearm and hand, also upper arms and shoulders benefit if a person raises arms while doing it.