Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Should I go for a ride?????

I've got my own opinions on that but I'll keep that to myself.  Besides, my rigs are both in storage for another couple of weeks so I don't have a choice.  Here's an opinion from a lawyer in South Carolina that was passed on by a friend.  It's an opinion.  In the end, it's a personal choice [or maybe a law].

"CAROLINAS' BIKER LAWYERS Representing Injured Bikers Since
1975 877-376-7982  

Many of you have messaged us about whether were allowed to ride despite these stay-at-home orders. Absolute yes or no answers are hard to provide in this situation. This is uncharted territory and the information is changing daily. However, we can provide some guidance to help you get that much needed wind therapy. Here is the general advice we are providing our Carolina riders... 

CAN WE RIDE? First, it depends on where you ride. SC remains much less restrictive than NC. NC is under a statewide stay-at-home order, but SC isn't (as of writing this, only Charleston and Columbia have stay-at-home orders). In NC, both local and state orders are enforceable and the stricter one in any situation is what applies. I have read the state order and a number of the county orders. They are all pretty similar. Under almost all of them, everyone is ordered to stay home except for certain things. Non-essential travel is generally prohibited whether by car, truck, or motorcycle. But the keyword here is ESSENTIAL. So, if you're on the way to the grocery store, pharmacy, or work (if your work is essential), then you can use whatever vehicle you want.  

Yes, motorcycling might fall into the category of exercise or leisure. People can still ride their bicycles. But since our motorcycles are considered motor vehicles by statute, the exercise/leisure exception is not your strongest argument.  Importantly, I've heard from a few law enforcement friends that the purpose of these orders is to give them the power to break up large groups and gatherings. That's what they're really worried about. They have enough on their hands and don't have time to stop every vehicle on
the road. They just want to prevent big groups from getting together and spreading the virus. Also, I'm not aware of any plans to start doing checkpoints or anything like that. My personal advice would be to stick to back roads and small groups. Just be safe and don't give police a reason to pull you over. Wave at them to show respect and solidarity. Keep a grocery list in your pocket and make sure you've got saddle bags or a backpack to hold all that toilet paper!  "

Now, remember this guy is talking about South Carolina, laws, rules, suggestions in your state. parish, county, municipality may vary.  No matter where you live, the best policy is to stay home and write some content for The Sidecarist.

Be well, stay safe!

1bmwmc and masegraves have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcmasegraves