Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Shipment of a sidecar

Not new to motorcycles but very new to the world of sidecars. Point of fact I'm trying to purchase my 1st sidecar even as this is being posted. I would appreciate any advice and information on how to ship; any freight company recommendations, what to be careful of, etc. based on the experience of the USCA membership. Since I live in VA and the sidecar is located in WA I need to arrange pick-up at a residence in WA at a minimum. I have a 3/4 ton pickup truck so I can eaisly pick up the sidecar at whatever centeral location it would come to in VA so delivery to a residence isn't a major issue. Very much appreciate whatever guidance, etc. the collective membership can provide on this issue.

Shipping by general motor freight is usually OK. But only if the sidecar is well crated. We've had some damage claims lately due to the carriers stacking heavy loads on top of the sidecar crates. Even when they are well marked "Do Not Stack". Almost all palletized sidecars have been damaged in shipment.
The current high fuel costs make the carriers want to cram as much as they can into a trailer regardless of shipping agreements and warnings.
Sidecars on a dolly can be shipped by Daily Direct and some others without protection as they use special Motorcycle carrying trailers. The cost is higher though as most charge the solo bike minimum rate. Bottom line is that there is no damage incurred on your sidecar.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar

Jack,
Where in WA is your prospective sidecar located? If it is anywhere near my location and the current owner needs some assistance (crating assistance etc) I live near Portland OR.

Bruce

Bruce,
Appreciate the offer but all I know at this stage is that the gentleman I'm buying the SC from lives near Seattle and is currently on vacation. He will be touching base w/me when he gets back and I'll ask him about the crating issue. BTW I just received an estimate/quote from Allied Movers Inc. of approx $672.00 to transport the sidecar from the Seattle area to here in VA. They indicated that they would do the packing of the sidecar and, I beleive that insurance was included in the quote. Does this sound reasonable/average?

I know that at the current price of gas it would take about that much (shipping costs) to drive from left to right coast so that sounds reasonable to me. Good luck with your purchase.

Bruce

Did you get a quote from Daily Direct? They include $20,000 insurance with their hauls.

Lonnie

I'll chime in here for Daily Direct. I've used them four times and they are great. They specialize in hauling bikes and use purpose built trucks that allow the bikes to be shipped without crating. I've never had any damage and their drivers were always polite and considerate. They understand sidecars to a degree. I've seen them ship really strange stuff like a motorized rickshaw.

The President at Daily Direct is Ken Durik and he's not too busy to talk to you. Daily Direct is headquartered in West Allis, WI. 414/543-7330 or 888/428-5245

Eagle One Express from me. They say they will go door to door, but they have the biggest truck I have ever seen, so if you live on a small street... They do only bikes and related things. Terrific folks.

DO NOT USE FEDERAL (OR ALLIED) TO SHIP A SIDECAR RIG !!
I am still trying to recover from them shipping a complete rig FL to CA .. messed up the bike real good.

see my old posts ...

Try http://www.pottercattle.com call Dave Potter 810.955.7877 Leave a message if he does not answer. Let him know I gave you the info.

I listed a sidecar bid for shipment on uship.com from NJ to MN bids were $484 - $900 looking at about 3 week delivery time. Dave Potter hit my target price of $400!! He happened to be heading out to NJ to drop off a sail boat & was picking up jet skis on a trailer. He asked if it would fit in the back of a dually. Heck ya!!! He picked it up in the middle of his tagret dates (17-19) and is to be delivered to the California Sidecar dealer in Mankato, MN on or before June 25. He even called to let me know he was 20 minutes away from pick up address. Called two days later (yesterday) to let me know all was well, had hit a storm in Ohio, plastic came loose, so they rewrapped and covered it with canvas tarp to protect it. Waiting to hear for exact deliver date between Friday and Sunday.

By the way UPS was only $525 for a three day delivery, it just has to be on some sort of frame/crate and cardboard wrapped (pallet with 4 2x4's and cardboard covered works for them). I thought UPS was a fair price for 3 day delivery. Price is figured by weight and dimensions just like everybody else.

I don't know where he is heading after MN but hey he might just be goin your way:)

Tammie

Anvbody else waiting for a sidecar? I have one on order from Motorvation, anyone had one shipped from them? depending when it's done I may pick it up there on the way to Sturgis, they want $600.00 put install it, thought that was a little steep, can't wait.