Notifications
Clear all

securing a small dog in my sidecar.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@craig-mckay)
Topic starter

I would like to take my small poodle mix female dog with me on my sidecar travels. I am looking for advice on how to comfortably secure her in the side car so she is safe and happy. Do restraint systems exist for dogs in sidecars? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations on harnesses or restraints for my dog that can be adapted to the sidecar. Thank you. Craig

Posted : June 7, 2022 12:38 pm
(@NCGLSidecarist)

We have taken our dogs along on our trips for the pat 8 years. Both are poodle mixes.  You do not want to secure them with collars because they could choke in the event of an accident. I secure them in the sidecar using harnesses with a leash attached to an eye bolt secured by removing one of the seat bolts. This combination allows them to move around without being free to jump out and run if they see another dog or wildlife. Initially I only remove the window closest to the rider side of the sidecar.  We also found that using “doggies” to protect their eyes is very important. These are available through the internet and can be ordered in sizes to fit your dog. We also found that introducing them to the sidecar and the noise of the motorcycle can best be done in your driveway or very short rides on your property. Treating and praising them for staying in and riding is very helpful initially. There are 2 resources you may want to look at; a book called “Dogs ride” has many great suggestions. A second is a dvd entitled “sidecar dogs” also gives a lot of suggestions. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other specific questions. 

Posted : June 8, 2022 12:00 am
(@swampfox)

Quote from NCGLSidecarist on June 8, 2022, 5:00 am

... secure them in the sidecar using harnesses with a leash attached to an eye bolt secured by removing one of the seat bolts. This combination allows them to move around without being free to jump out and run if they see another dog or wildlife....

I concur with NCGL.   Our preference is a  harness with an attachment under the chest, such as the (discontinued) PetSafe SureFit:

We've also found it is important to include a swivel in the lead (textile or small chain) to prevent binding as the dog spins around, such as rein snaps a/k/a trigger snaps:

Another thing to remember is, with an open top sidecar, the summer sun can be awfully hot on a dog.

We've been introducing Josie to the sidecar over the past few weeks, but at 15 months her attention span is still kinda limited.  After removing the seat and installing a flat pad, she made her first solo ride around the yard last weekend.  She should be riding around the neighborhood by July 4th:

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : June 8, 2022 1:55 am
(@NCGLSidecarist)

Totally agree. Important to remember that with an open cockpit, the dogs are exposed to both the heat of the sun and the cold wind if the temps drop. Our sidecar has a blower in it. The dogs do not seem to like it. Just an FYI on that.

Posted : June 8, 2022 2:19 am
(@aceinsav)

Well looks like that has been covered well. only other thing I would say is start easy and make sure they like it. 

Posted : June 8, 2022 2:55 am