Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Seat lock in TLE sidecar - how to get replacement key?

I just purchased a 1994 Road King with an Ultra Classic sidecar; I don't know if the sidecar was originally sold with the bike, but the dealer only had the key for the bike/saddlebags/touring pack. We realized there's a lock under the front edge of the bottom of the seat of the sidecar, but it doesn't have the same kind of lock as the rest of the equipment. Is this standard, and if so, how can I find a replacement lock, or get this one re-keyed?

TIA

I know a good locksmith in Spokane WA who could solve the problem but you don't say where you're at and my guess is that it's not Spokane... Terry Huff is a friend and fellow rider, and a good professional locksmith.

I'm not quite ready for that long of a ride just yet; I'm in Dallas, TX. I can see about getting a locksmith after it; it's not locked at this time, but I'd like the ability to secure items behind the seat, and if this is the lock to do that, it would be good to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-FL-Police-Bag-Sidecar-Lock-Kit-53584-92-48152-82-71452-91-/311829524562?hash=item489a7cf052:g:-V0AAOSwxH1T54-W&vxp=mtr

I saw that at one point, but I'm not sure if they're referring to an *actual* sidecar, or the nomenclature where a touring pack is referred to as a "sidecar" (found often when searching for a HD with sidecar, unfortunately).

That lock IndSlim posted above will probably work for you. I rebuilt my seat and took the lock and cable system out but I kept the parts. Here are a few pictures from the 1993-94 parts book and the parts I have. There is also a seat on eBay that I think has this type of lock system. Look at that one and these pictures and you should be able to figure it out. I think all you have to do is unscrew the front plate and put the new lock cylinder from eBay in there and you're good to go.

Attached files

The seller on eBay said it was for the touring pack, not the sidecar. However, it might be worth a try; that seat's looking a bit rough for the price they want, and that's a bit more than I care to pay for just the lock assembly. These pictures and diagrams will help quite a bit - thanks!

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting buying the seat, I was wondering if that is the seat you have in your sidecar. The guy with the lock on eBay does list the correct sidecar seat part number. Looking at the listing on eBay it is the same lock cylinder I removed from my sidecar seat. There are a couple of other locks listed on eBay like that for a lot more money. Good luck.

It does indeed look like the same seat; hubs is the expert on locks, so we both appreciated the photos above. 53584-92 is the right number for the lock itself?

I don't know if you can order the lock by itself anymore, I couldn't find it on http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com It looks like you can order the lock assembly, 53593-92, $36.00 from them. They used the same lock on the non-ultra sidecars but located up on the outside of the sidecar body with a lock plate on the seat back. The eBay one might be a bargain at less than $36 if all you need is the lock cylinder and key.

parts are already getting harder to get..

its going to suck in ten years to get sidecar replacement parts..

there is already nothing cheap - I've seen a lot of folks wanting cheaper parts - thats not going to happen, more like duesenburg or ferrari parts.

heck - early twin cam parts are going "obsolete"

to

Not sure about 94 but I have gotten locks for 99 and 2002 from Harley. Just took number off key (it is stamped on it) and had them order replacement lock. If I remember correct it came with 2 more keys.

The upshot was that we were able to get the "sidecar/saddlebag" lock from eBay, and hubs switched it out with the existing one on the sidecar, so now it's a more secure storage space on the sidecar again. Thanks for all your input!

Reardan Tom - 3/27/2017 10:00 AM

I know a good locksmith in Spokane WA who could solve the problem but you don't say where you're at and my guess is that it's not Spokane... Terry Huff is a friend and fellow rider, and a good professional locksmith.

Thanks for the suggestion i will call them and i am sure they will suggest some locksmith to me in my area.

I just went to Harley dealer with number off ignition key and purchased lock keyed the same but seems like I had to purchase the lock used on police style saddlebags not civilian bikes ( different length). But double check me on that been a couple of years back. This way one key works every lock on bike and rig. Not very expensive, I bet less than locksmith.

The locking saddlebag kit is about $50 and I think it's an extra $10 to get it keyed alike to your ignition key. Not sure, but this might fit that application. You would get 2 locks & 2 keys plus some hardware you probably wouldn't use.

Quote from Deleted user on March 27, 2017, 10:00 am

I also know a lock expert who works for a firm named dc mobile locksmith. He can solve the lock problem easily at a reasonable cost.