Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

seat belt in sidecar ??

Page 1 of 2Next

Does anyone know of where you could purchase a seat belt for a HD sidecar? Just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this? Thinking about my youngest daughter riding in it (she's 6), as she is special needs. She does ride in it now, but tends to move around some in it now and was thinking about a seat belt for her, if it would work or not? Thanks.

I bought one from NAPA Auto Parts, a standard adjustable lap belt. It comes with large bolts and washers so you can anchor it wherever you want.

We've installed 60" lap belts from parts stores and also harnesses with submarine strap from specialty stores for disabled passengers who do not have upper body control.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

I just ordered on from Amazon. They also had the reinforcing plate to keep the bolt from pulling out.

The bolts will not "pull out" through the sidecar frame. The belts attach at the rear body to frame bolts.

L.

I have a seat belt in my Velorex, it was in there when I bought it. They are mounted thru to the frame and a small "roll bar" behind the seat. My now 4 year old grandson rides in there with a carseat and my homemade "redneck Haans device". check out the story of Aidens adventures at http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11017&posts=11&start=1

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

I did find out that West Virginia law requires the sidecar passenger to have a seat belt.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

I bought a set from one of my Off Road Vehicle suppliers.
And Yes I offer them to ALL Jump Seat Passengers along with an extra Helmet(s) I have in the trunk (Youth & Adult)
Used the existing holes in Ural Side Car Tub. They lay nicely under the pull out seat until I need them.

Actually the West Virginia law does not state seat belt at all, but actually says safety belt, instead. There is no clarification as to what a "safety belt" actually is in the law, so one could use anything from tether straps to rope and technically be meeting the intent of the law there.

A seat belt in a sidecar would be dangerous unless the sidecar is equipped with a roll bar above the height of the passengers head.

Hack'n - 6/7/2013 12:50 PM

The bolts will not "pull out" through the sidecar frame. The belts attach at the rear body to frame bolts.

L.

So defensive. I wasn't referring to your installation or post. Sorry if that's how it appeared...

No defense, just fact.

Another of the many sources for seat belts is J.C. Whitney. I bought mine from them. Very good ones at a very good price. FWIW

Phelonius - 6/14/2013 7:53 PM

A seat belt in a sidecar would be dangerous unless the sidecar is equipped with a roll bar above the height of the passengers head.

I agree and is why I do not run one.

***Actually the West Virginia law does not state seat belt at all, but actually says safety belt, instead. There is no clarification as to what a "safety belt" actually is in the law, so one could use anything from tether straps to rope and technically be meeting the intent of the law there***

Hey Pat your right I jsut "assumed " it meant seatbelt

Phelonius - 6/14/2013 5:53 PM

When I first picked up my sidecar it had seatbelts folded up under the seat. I got on this forum and mentioned the seatbelts and got this reply.
"seatbelts are for keeping your grandkids from acting like monkeys"
Shortly after I took my 5 year old grandson for his first ride. This Grandson could be the A.D.D. poster child and NEVER sits still. We had a nice ride. haveing him secured to the seat made a big difference.

A belt or other restraint harness will keep kids and dogs from exiting the sidecar at speed in normal situations.
If the rig has turned turtle it could help or harm.

Lonnie

Seat belt was needed so my young son would not bounce his nose on the dash during a quick stop. Used it on my granddaughters for pretty much the same reason.

I can't speak for a HD sidecar. My 2012 Hannigan HMS-SP2 came equipped with a lap seat belt.

My best friend just bought a Hannigan Classic Twin and it didn't come equipped with seat belt(s).

Jay S.
Okie from Muskogee

Page 1 of 2Next