Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

running tire backwards?

Being that I know nothin' about hacks, I was told that you should run a front tire on the
sidecar wheel and install it backwards.

Doesn't sound right to me but like I said about knowing.
What is the correct way to run tire.

The bike is a 13 Street glide running a Michelin Commander ll on rear,
The tub is a 07 TLE with the 3" wide Harley tire
I purchased a duplicate tire for the hack.

Thanks
Tom

Often when running a rear tire on the front you will run it backwards as the tire carcus is biased for power coming front the center out while when it is on the front power is coming from the road to the center. Same could hold true for the sidecar tire.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsideacrs.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

jaydmc - 12/22/2015 10:30 PM

Often when running a rear tire on the front you will run it backwards as the tire carcus is biased for power coming front the center out while when it is on the front power is coming from the road to the center. Same could hold true for the sidecar tire.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsideacrs.com

Where not much force is delivered to the sidecar tire. I mount them in (rear wheel) running direction. As Jay writes: I always mount rear tires backwards when using them on the front wheel.

First, you have to imagine a tractor tire with it's large, angled lugs. If the soil is relatively dry, the farmer may run the tires so that the lugs tend to "scoop" the dirt inward for better traction, but if the soil is muddy, scooping it inward would only cause the tire to pack with mud, and that mud needs to go somewhere as more is scooped up, so it lifts the tractor above the mud and loses traction, so he runs the tire so the angle of the lugs will push the mud outward ("self-cleaning") as the tire tends to slip in the mud. This causes the tire to stay farther down in the soil with the lugs pushing against the mud to keep pushing the tractor.
The sipes (grooves) on most tires are also angled. Besides dispersing water, these sipes also have to be able to push dirt and mud outward (self cleaning) to keep the tire in good contact with the road. On the rear of the bike this means that if the tire wants to slip UNDER POWER the sipes need to be facing the direction to push water and mud outward. But, on the front, it's just the opposite since the direction of force is when the brakes are applied. That's why the fronts and rears are always reversed from each other. Most bike tires are marked to reflect this situation, but if you are trying to run a rear tire on the front, then it does need to be run backwards from it's markings.
As for the sidecar, it doesn't make any matter unless you run a brake. Then, that tire needs to run just the front tire on the bike.
The irony about the rear tire is that it is subjected to both driving and braking forces. For ultimate SAFETY, but with a bit of loss of driving traction on other-then-perfect road surfaces, run the tire reversed from it's markings for better braking performance. Those markings are focused on the driving forces since the rear tire has less stopping power than the front tire.