Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Royal Enfield w/Cozy sidecar

I am seriously thinking about buying a 2016 Royal Enfield and Cozy sidecar. Most of riding is in the city, but I would like the ability to make at least one long trip during the year. What is the top speed of this combo on the interstate? I've read several reviews, but I'd like a fellow RE rider to reply to my question. Thanks.

Do you mean like this one?

http://www.mariettasportscar.com/vehicle-details/2017-royal-enfield-classic-chrome-w--sidecar-810275c29c521b40a639b92bc7544977/

I would not think it could have a high enough top speed to be safe, you must maintain a consistent high speed.

If you were just asking about the sidecar, many of us have opinions, some good and some not so good. Since you appear to be asking as much about the bike, I'd look here...

https://royalenfield.com/community/forum/

Good luck.

I have been associated with the US importer of RE Bikes in the past. I set up a hand full of bike Cozy rigs while there.It was just at the transition to the new unit engines. The earlier bikes would maintain about 50 mph with a sidecar. The newer ones a bit better.

Last summer I rode with a mixed group of bikes and sidecars. One was a new RE GT with a Watsonian Meteor sidecar. We rode from Reno over Donner pass into Northern CA and held a highway speed of - 65 MPH that was not interfering with traffic. That said, I would not think this would be a rig for cross country riding. We were doing about 200 miles a day touring Northern CA and around the Reno area. We made lots of stops and sight seeing. This rig may have been a bit lighter than the Cozy rig, But I have no data to verify that.

Best of luck with your decision.
Jim

Attached files

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Thanks

GK

I for one can speak from experience. Got started in sidecars about four years ago with a Royal Enfield G5 with Kozi Rocket. Loved it and still have it. Have cruised it at 65 but she was straining. This led to a second rig because the Enfield just did not cut it on the highways. Went to a Yamaha 950 with a beefed up Velorex and it can cruise 70 plus with no strain. Have cruised it at 85 but a little scary and not much room. This led to a third rig, Honda VT1100 with Dauntless tandem car. Plenty of room but a big old boat that starts drinking gas fast cruising at 65. Now Mama is shopping for a Goldwing or something big with a "comfortable" car. Point being: Get as much as you can manage/afford and you might save yourself stress, strain and money in the future. There are some real bargains in the classified section of this forum and elsewhere on the net. A used rig might be a good option for a first rig. You can resell and move up. I got half of that figured out but can't seem to let go of the ones I have.

🙁

Mike in MS

PS Where are you? Maybe you can find someone who would at least take you for a ride. I'm willing if you are near me. Now have logged over 20,000 on the three rigs.

1bmwmc and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcThane Lewis
I think the new 650cc Interceptor and GTs are a different kettle of fish.   I asked Marty at http://GoMotoMN.com (he helped the distributor design the rigging and manufactured some of the parts to connect the Cozys to the 650cc Interceptor/GT) if the 650cc Interceptor with Cozy Euro could do the speed limit.   He said, "It will be able to go 85mph with the sidecar."   I told him that was plenty because I ride the speed limit.   I hope to be set up by the end of the month.
Quote from tinboatcapt on June 3, 2017, 9:54 pm

Last summer I rode with a mixed group of bikes and sidecars. One was a new RE GT with a Watsonian Meteor sidecar. We rode from Reno over Donner pass into Northern CA and held a highway speed of - 65 MPH that was not interfering with traffic. That said, I would not think this would be a rig for cross country riding. We were doing about 200 miles a day touring Northern CA and around the Reno area. We made lots of stops and sight seeing. This rig may have been a bit lighter than the Cozy rig, But I have no data to verify that.

Best of luck with your decision.
Jim

Attached files

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I just put a modified Cozy on my RE

Uploaded files:
Quote from tinboatcapt on June 3, 2017, 9:54 pm

I have been associated with the US importer of RE Bikes in the past. I set up a hand full of bike Cozy rigs while there.It was just at the transition to the new unit engines. The earlier bikes would maintain about 50 mph with a sidecar. The newer ones a bit better.

Jim

The  Watsonian seems to be set back farther on the GT compared to my Cozy and Interceptor.   The Cozy Euro weighs 200lbs.     https://www.cyclesidecar.com/new-page-4

Attached files

Uploaded files:

So much depends on the bike and the sidecar. Weight kills smaller bikes fast. If the bike is having to give 90% of what it has to run down the road you looking for issues.

Some smaller bikes do better than others. 750 Harley Street with sidecar will run highway speed all day long and still have plenty left to get out of the ways.

I still want to put a RE in the stable someday. I rode them years ago big singles. A different ride for sure.

Marty configured the hardware for the Cozy distributor in N. America and makes some of the fittings for the Interceptor.   He says the rig will hit 85 mph.     I have no intention of riding at those speeds.  I prefer rural highways and even stay off the freeway if I can in the car.       I have never understood the need to go faster than the speed limit on a bike.   You miss so much,  you might as well ride in a cage.

SwampFox has reacted to this post.
SwampFox

I sure like the buggy top for the dog.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

My '79XLS (Stage 2 S&S Stroker motor) is doing 3K rpm @ 50 mph in 3rd, which would be 100 mph @ 6K rpm, but I sure wouldn't expect it to hold that speed for any length of time. Also I would be terrified to take it to 100 mph. Perhaps top speed isn't the right question, since top speed is not cruising speed, but some %age of it. You need that reserve between cruise and top. The question does not include engine size of the bike, which would make a lot of difference.

I have a reworked cozy.  I’m telling what I would do. Buy a frame Jay the in Wa. Attach it to your box ,get you a after market fender.  Then you will have strong sidecar.  I was the guy that had the cozy with a black SE Triumph connected to it.  It really Handel good.  But I modified the frame on the sidecar a lot.Rudyr