Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rigs in the Rockies 2022 National Rally July 7 through 10 Hotchkiss Colorado

Page 1 of 5Next

Rigs in the Rockies 2                                                                        July 7 through 10, 2022

Delta County Fairgrounds Hotchkiss, CO

43rd Annual USCA National Sidecar Rally

Rally registration is now open.

Click on the Uploaded File link below to open the registration form, OR go to:

I have been getting calls from people asking where the camping will be and also where will they be able to park their RVs. People are going to the Delta County Fairgrounds website and the website says there is no camping at the fairgrounds so they call me to see if we have camping.
There is no camping at the fairgrounds except during special events, We are special.

As stated in the opening post for the rally: Rally camping for tents is in the park in the fairgrounds and RV camping is located around the park with water and electric. There is no sewage connection and no trailer dump at the fairgrounds or anywhere local that I know of.

I wanted to start a thread for information about the rally and try to keep the chatter to the other thread. I will update this first post with current information as needed so that you will only need to check this post periodically.

One thing I would like to let everyone know is that Hotchkiss is a small very rural town and they do things in a very slow paced way. This is not your typical Colorado mountain tourist town they are predominantly farmers and ranchers so go easy on them please.

I will add updates and information to this thread so let's try to keep it here to make things less confusing please.

I have attached two files, the .pdf is just the information guide for the fairgrounds for those who are bored and need something to read, it is actually a nice guide but there are some general restrictions that will not apply to us since we are special. Any questions please ask.

http://www.deltacounty.com/255/Fairgrounds

There is a .kmz file that is a Google Earth link that should show a little map I made up of the fairgrounds.

I and some of the rest of the rally crew will be there on Wednesday so please check in with us when you get there so we can keep this as organized as possible, I do not anticipate any issues with space since we have pretty much the whole fairgrounds but we do need to keep some method to the madness.

The Fairgrounds does not have public Internet, you will see fairground access points listed but they are admin only and not public. I have had excellent cell service and I have not heard of anyone who has not.

There are a few RV sites next to the park that have 30 amp power hookups and a water faucet for potable water but no sewage. These are first come first served and the fairgrounds wants $6.00 a night for these the last time I checked. There is a money box by the bathrooms in Heritage Hall where you put the money. These are not very big sites so they are best suited for class C and truck campers. If you have a bike trailer we have an area for you to leave it since it will not fit well in these spaces. I will try to save a couple of these spots for those who may need the power for medical reasons also.

The area that is marked as parking is an open parking lot that will hold quite a few RVs and this is open to any who want to dry camp their rigs for free during the rally. No electric and no water. I will save a couple of spots next to the building for people with CPAP machines and such so we can run a cord out for you but this will be a 15 amp circuit at best so please if you need this please use accordingly.

There is a nice commercial RV park in Hotchkiss a mile from the fairgrounds that is well suited for those with big RVs that would like full service amenities. Some people stayed there at the last national here in 2016 and it is a very nice place. They have a website: https://mountainvalleymeadowsrvpark.net/

Now for tent camping. This is the town park and the only other group that has been allowed to do this is our local BMW club for our annual rally so this is somewhat of an honor. The grass is one of the nicest places you have ever pitched a tent and the groundskeeper is very protective of it. Also keep in mind this is the town park and it is still open to the public so there will probably be children stopping by to utilize the playground equipment and I am sure the townsfolk will be wandering through to look at the foreigners and their funny machines so please do not camp too close to the playground equipment. This is their park and we are just honored guests. There is a single rail fence around the park and there are also no pets allowed inside the fenced in park. I have another area marked as regular tent camping and this is the normal tenting area. This is right next to the park and it is also grass and trees and I will have this partitioned off so those of you who will be camping with their four legged friends are welcome to camp here. This tent area is open any time of the year for camping so if you are early feel free to camp here.

A couple of notes:
As stated above there are to be no pets inside the fenced in park itself, anywhere else on the fairgrounds they are more than welcome. There may be other users in other parts of the fairgrounds including the arena and there is a very high likelihood of horses and even cattle or other live stock so be courteous with your pets, it is their house we are just visiting.
There is a no alcohol policy in the park and a large part of town is very religious so discretion is the key here. I have developed a fairly good rapport with the town police and they have a very generous policy of indifference as long as they get no complaints from certain townsfolk. This does not mean they will be watching us and in all of the years we have had our BMW rally there, we have never had an issue. The one thing I ask is clean up at night and put your trash in the 55 gallon trash cans we will place around the park and we will come by every morning and dispose of said refuse, out of sight out of mind.
Speaking of the town Marshall and his minions there will likely be what will appear as a fairly prominent police presence but this is usual and merely that they are bored and this gives them something different to do. By all means acknowledge them and speak to them as much as you like, they are surprisingly friendly and I will let them know we are coming so they will be planning on checking out the rigs.

I have breakfast Saturday morning locked in, the local Elks club Women will be coming by and preparing a very nice breakfast for us. They will do a very good breakfast for us and do not be shy about seconds, no one should leave hungry. They will have a donation jar out so pay what you think it is worth as it goes to support local charities.

Saturday night dinner will also be provided by the women of the Elks with a menu yet to be decided on. Iced Tea, lemonade, ice water and coffee will of course be provided all weekend free of charge in Heritage Hall.

Here is a list of the closest hotel/motel offerings;

Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss Inn is located just a few blocks from the fairgrounds in Hotchkiss.
http://hotchkissinnmotel.com/

Redwood Arms Motel is a nice place that is about 7 miles from Hotchkiss with plenty of parking for trailers and they also have a small RV park in the back.
http://www.redwoodarmsmotel.com/

Paonia

Rocky Mountain Inn in Paonia.
http://rockymountaininn.net/

The Bross Hotel is a really nice B&B if you want something a little nicer.
http://www.paonia-inn.com/

Crawford

The hitching Post Hotel and feed store is another unique property that is located in Crawford.
http://www.hitchingposthotel.com/

Airbnb has many nice offerings around also if you have ever used them, even if you have not.

All lodging will probably book fast so it would be best to book your rooms early.

There is a City Market grocery store a couple of blocks from the fairgrounds. There is a Dollar General and a laundromat just across the street from the fairgrounds for those who need to do laundry.

Taco Hut is a Mexican restaurant just around the corner from the fairgrounds with excellent food, including breakfast burritos. They have soft serve ice cream with excellent shakes and such. They also have to go Margaritas. On the West end of town is a small coffee shop and Internet cafe called Coal Train, with fancy coffee and good breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches and quiche. They have a nice dog friendly patio, as does Taco Hut, and both places have free Internet. Zaks BBQ is behind City Market for sit down breakfast and lunch, excellent pie also. No Internet. 133 BRGR is predominantly a burger joint just across the street from the Hotchkiss Inn. Pat's is the local Pub with appropriate food and drink, they are in the middle of town on the main street. Across the street from Pat's is PJ's, what goes for fine dining in Hotchkiss, and it is very good food with a price to match.

There is an auto parts store across the street from Taco Hut and they are very good and friendly. They cater to the farming and ranching community here so they are very good at unusual requests, including my searches for parts for my sidecar projects. There is also a very well stocked Ace hardware in town.

There is a Walmart in Delta, 20 miles West on hwy 92.

More later if I find more.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
SwampFox, CCjon and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjonAceinSavThane Lewis

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have it pretty well covered.

J.R.

Ambassorder

Ex Sec.

Ex Tex rep.

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon

Dana

Any chance you can get us a special rate at the Hotchkiss Inn? In 2016 rooms were about $105/night. Today they are showing $170/night.

Thanks

Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

I am working on it but Kris has been out of town and I do not know when she will be back. Redwood Arms is only a few miles up the road and more reasonable although I do not expect the accommodations are as nice. The new owners, Kris and Andy, just bought the place a couple of years ago and I hear they have done upgrades so things do change. I will continue to see if I can work a deal out with them though. If I can then it will of course apply to all reservations already made but I cannot promise anything.

Dana

CCjon and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane Lewis

Hey Dana, thanks for taking on this task. It is much appreciated. I notice the BMW "Top of the Rockies" rally is the following weekend in Paonia. Is there anywhere to camp in Hotchkiss where we can stay until the following Wednesday or Thursday? I believe you can't camp at Paonia until late Wednesday afternoon.

CCjon

You should be able to stay at the fairgrounds in Hotchkiss. You will not be able to put a tent in the park on the grass but there is a regular tent place. The Top o the Rockies rally is July 21st through 24th though.

This from the MOA site;

50th Annual Top O' The Rockies Rally

7/21/2022 to 7/24/2022

When: Thursday - Saturday
Where: Map this event »
Paonia Town Park
700 4th Street
Paonia, Colorado  81428
United States

Just to clarify the Colorado BMW clubs Top O' The Rockies Rally in Paonia is July 21st through 24th for those who are planning to do the sidecar rally and the BMW rally.

These dates are still listed on the MOA site.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/m/event_details.asp?id=1578139

CCjon and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane Lewis

I camped at the Hotchkiss Fairgrounds during the BMW rally in September.  Grassy camping was nice, as were the showers, and we were able to charge phones and such at the utility outlet boxes that were spaced periodically along the whit rail fence surrounding the grass and trees.  Perhaps those could serve CPAP campers?

A lot of th local eateries were closed due to Covid or labor issues, but this was after tourist season so shouldn’t be an issue in July.  The taco place had excellent food and service and we found good eats in Paonia as well.  This is very near Grand Mesa, which is well worth the upper body workout to ride and a nice place to cool off at around 9500ft.

Wish I could make this but it might conflict with a previously scheduled family gathering.  It’s a great spot for a rally!

best,

DeVern

Not a whole lot going on, pretty much hurry up and wait at this point. I may have a couple of vendors lined up for the rally though. Vamoose Gear is a mom and pop power sports accessory store located in Montrose, https://vamoosegear.com/ , and they are real interested. They have had a booth set up at our Fall BMW rally and they just sponsored a charity toy run so I hope they can work it out. The new Colorado Ural dealer, https://colorado-ural.com/ , is real interested also so I hope they can get set up with a booth and a couple of 2022 Urals to show off.

Craig and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CraigThane Lewis

It is now 2022 and I believe the registration forms for the rally should be popping up on the board pretty soon. Time to start some serious planning because this should be a good time. As with the last national here I like to focus on the rides so we are planning an off road and an on road poker run. You can buy cards for one or both if you like.

Working on an ice cream social for Friday evening after the chili dinner from our local BMW club also. We have a little local place that makes and sells their own ice cream so I need to make sure they can start stocking up in time to have enough for the whole crew.

John McCann has reacted to this post.
John McCann

Looks like we have some entertainment for the rally now also. One of the members reached out to me and offered to play for us. The band name is Muddy Boots & the Porch Pounders. They have a few videos on YouTube, one of which is;

John McCann

Rally registration is now open. Click on the Uploaded File link below to open the registration form, OR

go to:

Uploaded files:

Ice cream and Muddy Boots....  Good stuff, Dana!

John McCann
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

We are excited for the opportunity. Anytime I can ride motorcycle's and play music in the same weekend it's an amazing time. Dreams do come true....lol

DirtyDR, Thane Lewis and John McCann have reacted to this post.
DirtyDRThane LewisJohn McCann

Things are pretty slow on the thread since I have most things under control already. Deep in Winter here and just thinking about warmer times to come.

There are some major road construction projects going on in the area and CDOT is planning on redoing the main street through town, this may or may not happen during the rally depending on if they get the canyon widening project done between Gunnison and Montrose. They are using hwy 92 from Gunnison to Hotchkiss as a detour since they close that canyon route on US50 during the day for construction. Either way it will not really impact us at the fairgrounds since there are multiple routes in and out of the fairgrounds. If they do have the construction going on in Hotchkiss they will be shutting down half of the road at a time through town so access to the businesses on that side of the street will be greatly affected. Downtown Hotchkiss is only five blocks long but it will be a disruption for all of the businesses there with no on street parking for the duration.

I should add that they are also replacing an old bridge on hwy 92 between Hotchkiss and Delta so that may have some impact on getting here also. They are putting up a temporary bridge over the river while they tear down the existing one and build the new bridge. Hopefully there should be minimal impact by rally time.

It may or may not happen during the rally, if it does I will post up a couple of maps to navigate easier access to the fairgrounds for folks arriving to the rally.

More to come I am sure.

Just a “heads up”, contacted Mountain Valley Meadows about camping. They told me they only had 2 sites left and neither are full hookups. Water and electric only. Looking forward to seeing all of you in July!

Thanks for the heads up on the RV sites. Looks like we are getting a good turnout coming.

There is limited RV parking at the fairgrounds with potable water and electricity, no sewage dump. There is also free, unlimited, dry RV parking at the fairgrounds.

Dana

John McCann

Hey all!

I am getting an AirBNB site southwest of Hotchkiss that has more rooms than we need with several more beds.  If anyone is wanting to share the site, I'll add you to the reservation.

Link to the site

For those who remember us, we bought Nelson's Royal Star rig at last year's rally. 

Definitely looking forward to participating more this year!

CCjon

Did not want you all to think I forgot about this. Had to run down to the hardware store so I figured I would grab an ice cream cone at Taco Hut, chocolate, vanilla twist, and sat in the park at the fairgrounds to enjoy it. This will be the view from your tent at the rally, minus my van and most of the snow hopefully.

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, AceinSav and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxAceinSavCraigThane Lewis

Looking forward to seeing all of you this year. Looks like a great rally with lots of “good stuff” we’re bringing our 2 sidecar dogs, Ginger is brand new to sidecaring. Bo is a long time rider. Ride safe! CC, we may beat your distance this year. We have to ride over 1400 mi. To get there. See you in Hochkiss Good Lord willing and the creeks don’t rise.  Chuck and Ruth

Uploaded files:
CCjon, prmurat1 and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CCjonprmurat1Thane Lewis
Page 1 of 5Next