Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Right turn wheel. RTW

Is there such a thing for a sidecar rig? Supposed to keep hack down in a right turn. Just ran across the term for the first time on a eBay auction. Kind of suspicious as the ad is for a gold wing but the pictures show a Honda Shadow model. I did a Google search and didn't find much except several ads that sound a lot alike. Anyway, just curious and wondered if such a thing exists where exactly does it mount. The ads are unclear.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

I've seen wheels for bigger bikes that are normally folded up to the bikes frame then automatically decend when the bike slows. The ones I'm thinking are usually mounted on two-wheeled bikes as an outrigger, training wheel fashion.

I have serious doubts that such a think could be safely used on a rig turning right.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

OldSchool_IsCool - 8/28/2016 5:46 PM

I've seen wheels for bigger bikes that are normally folded up to the bikes frame then automatically decend when the bike slows. The ones I'm thinking are usually mounted on two-wheeled bikes as an outrigger, training wheel fashion.

I have serious doubts that such a think could be safely used on a rig turning right.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking a while trying to learn a bit but didn't really have anything to contribute. You know what they say about keeping ones mouth shut 🙂 When I saw the ad I was mystified. Had never seen such a thing discussed.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

Care to share the link?

Having a wheel mounted on the side opposite the sidecar sounds just as stupid and dangerous as the "twin sidecar" rigs of a few decades past. One of the potential issues is that when the rig goes through a low spot the outrigger wheel can come in contact with the road and unweight the rear tire, loosing traction. Then when the rear tire comes back in contact with the road there is unexpected acceleration. That sudden load can also break drive shafts or chains.

Honestly, an all around better solution is to learn how the drive your rig including what to do when you put the hack wheel in the air.

IndSlim - 8/29/2016 7:49 AM

Care to share the link?

Wasn't sure links were allowed. This is the eBay ad
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing-/252509536037?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3acabdbf25:g:hFQAAOSwgZ1Xu5dM&item=252509536037
And the same rig shown in a you tube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NpW6G7_4jvg
It is indeed a small wheel mounted on the left of the bike. Just don't understand how he can claim it can be ridden as a trike by removing the sidecar. But he claims it a gold wing so who knows?

Oh my goodness, that has got to the most dangerous thing I have seen in a long time. that set up is a major crash looking for a place to happen. it relies on your left leg strength to hold the wheel down. I can't believe someone would even try to sell that as a working devise.

USCA # 8913

Thanks for the link, I was having a problem envisioning that thing. Looks like just what you need for doing donuts in a cornfield. I hope that guy has great liability insurance. The scary thing is that he will probably sell some.

Am I seeing things or is that the wheel off a ... Aw, never mind, it doesn't matter what the wheel is from, the idea is too bizarre. Adding that wheel in many states will turn your rig into a CAR and require that you comply with all the things that cars are obliged to have like seat belts, and windshield wipers. PLEASE DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS!

Dave, some states count the wheels on the ground, not look at the rig in question. IE in some states if you add a outrigger kit you have to comply with most of the cars rules because you now have 4 on the ground
I have read of people having trouble getting tags and insurance because of it.

it looks like part of the rig from the old landing gear that used to be on the market, but mounted up front and operated by foot rather than the hydraulics it came with
either way that is some scary looking stuff

USCA # 8913

Al Olme - 8/29/2016 1:42 PM

Am I seeing things or is that the wheel off a ... Aw, never mind, it doesn't matter what the wheel is from, the idea is too bizarre. Adding that wheel in many states will turn your rig into a CAR and require that you comply with all the things that cars are obliged to have like seat belts, and windshield wipers. PLEASE DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS!

too far away to consider but other then the addition of the doohickey which could be removed I thought it was pretty reasonable at $4200. But hasn't sold yet so who knows. Wonder why he listed it as a gold wing? I emailed and ask but no reply.

I agree that IF the outrageous right side wheel was removed it might be an OK rig BUT it looks like the sidecar was simply clamped on to the bike [not a Goldwing but a Shadow] and that seldom ends up being a good long term solution. A subframe could be added to make a decent rig.

WOW! Scary indeed. What is supposed to be the advantage to this thing?

I keep thinking of that pole vaulting feeling you get when making a left turn on a two wheeler with the kickstand accidentally left down.

Valk, I hope you can find a rig that meets your needs, but the side wheel thing just looks more dangerous than the problem it's trying to solve.