Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Riding the great divide (usa)

Has anyone ridden the great divide using a sidecar outfit? I would appreciate any info on the outfit and how difficult it was.

I plan to ride the CDT on my KLR rig right after the USCA rally in July. There was guy who did it on his Ural a year or two back, Here is a link to his story on Soviet Steeds. http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29561&p=359248&hilit=Continental+Divide#p359248 What rig are you thinking of riding it on? CCjon

What is great divide?

The Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada was laid out by bicycle rider s number of years ago. The trail has been modified for motorcycles since there were sections where even the bicyclists had to carry their bikes over the boulders. The trail now has easy and difficult sections for dual sport motor bikes. Takes about 10-15 days to do the Trail. Camping most of the way.

That is the only great divide ride I know of, unless he is referring to the TransAmerica Trail going East - West.

CCjon - 1/6/2016 10:29 PM

The Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada was laid out by bicycle rider s number of years ago. The trail has been modified for motorcycles since there were sections where even the bicyclists had to carry their bikes over the boulders. The trail now has easy and difficult sections for dual sport motor bikes. Takes about 10-15 days to do the Trail. Camping most of the way.

That is the only great divide ride I know of, unless he is referring to the TransAmerica Trail going East - West.  

Indeed that' s the correct name for it. Thanks for the info. My wife and I are considering riding it this year. We will need to get a ring first though. Any suggestions?

extreme10 - 1/7/2016 2:11 AM Indeed that' s the correct name for it. Thanks for the info. My wife and I are considering riding it this year. We will need to get a ring first though. Any suggestions?

You'll want good ground clearance, light to medium weight, good range between fuel stops. As Jay of DMC would insist, a brake on the sidecar wheel.

It's not a speed race so gear down for climbing and crawling over loose rocks on the inclines and descents, but also long flat gravel sections, possible mud.

Don't go too early, wait until all the passes are snow free.

Extreme10, I rode the CDT in my BMW 1150GS rig from Banff to Jackson WY three years ago. Very doable as long as you avoid Fleecer. Ride Report Link

Another member, Strong Bad, ran the whole thing from South to North two summers ago in his 1200GS rig. Ride Report Link

VLAD - 1/6/2016 7:17 PM

What is great divide?

Further explanation VLAD and nothing to to with the trail or the trip itself is to consider the continental divide this way- on the east side, all rivers and tributaries flow east to the Atlantic eventually and on the west side, all rivers and tributaries flow west to the Pacific.

In our country I can see the sunrise on the Caribbean coast have lunch on the divide and have dinner at sunset at the Pacific easily. Never done though yet. (part of the bucket list like a full turn around)
But a ride on top of the divide from North to South would be a life threatening several month walk.
Several years ago I met in Monteverde a group of biologic investigators who made a 80km direct walk on top of the rim from San Ramon...They needed 8 days with the help of a specially trained guide.
The continental divide I can see through the office window. Only 7-8km straight line to the next 2980m top where I went with my wife when she was pregnant with our first daughter.(the eldest dog fainted)
Other countries other challenges.
Sven :O 😉

extreme10 - 1/6/2016 3:58 PM

Has anyone ridden the great divide using a sidecar outfit? I would appreciate any info on the outfit and how difficult it was.

As Drone said, my wife & I did the Continental Divide Ride (CDR) from South to North and we continued on up to Banff after crossing into Canookistan. Drone's link has my ride report (I go by StrongBad on that other site). This was one of THE best trips we've ever done!

You should note that there are more than one routes which can be followed. Jerry Counts has a route he calls "The Great Divide Route" which has a bunch of single track trails and is NOT as sidecar friendly. The Mountain Bike guys do not race on a bunch of technical single track as they need to average 80 miles per day, which on single track would be impossible to do day after day. Over on ADVrider.com there other GPS tracks which follows the CDR route that the bicycle racers do, one of them is by a guy called Cannonshot and the other is called Bigdog. We followed Cannonshot's GPS route but had BigDog's with us just in case we needed an alternate route through. There is also the Continental Divide Trail which is a hiking trail

I would say that we were on dirt 80% of the time and overall it really wasn't very difficult. You don't need a whole bunch of ground clearance, more important to use your brain and pick your lines carefully. There are places where you are waaaaay out in the middle of no where and you should always be able to recognize when and if you are getting in "too deep", and always be able to self extract. The summer so called "Monsoon Season" in New Mexico & Colorado play a huge roll in your ability to use dirt roads. There are places where the mud is so sticky, that it packs in around your wheels, locking them up. It is not uncommon for those doing the CDR to have to re-route around muddy sections. We were extremely lucky as we didn't get a single summer thunder storm until we got all the way up into Canookistan.

Our plan was to camp for 3 nights and every 4th night stay in Motels, do laundry, and re-supply food/water & Scotch. I think we prolly stayed in more motels than expected/planned, but then keeping your navigator happy is THE most important job the pilot has!!!

BTW, last year we did The Heart of the West (aka HoW) which goes through much of the same areas but does a big loop through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. The HoW loop makes it much easier to choose a more user friendly place to start and stop. My ride report for that trip is here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hacking-our-way-through-the-heart-of-the-west.1090138/

Read through both and I'll be glad to answer any questions!!!!

Now, this is getting interesting. And, there was the guy who did the TAT on his Harley rig last year or the year before to see if he could. Looking forward to reading StrongBad's ride reports and dreaming about enough time away from work to do these adventures!

Extreme 10,

Since you mention having to get a rig first, am assuming you are new to sidecars. If so, get lots of practice in piloting your rig before attempting the CDT with your precious spouse in the sidecar.

DRONE and Trogdor are both very knowledgable and experienced sidecarists. Listen to their advice and comments. Also know that what they might consider easy, for a novice might be a bit more challenging.

Let us know when you start your ride.

I have had quite lot of experience with sidecars in the past, and I mean past 1960.s I have had BMW r69s with a stieb, BSA with Watsonian Monarch Triumph with a Monarch and a couple with boxes on. We. my wife and I, then family and dog, used a bike combi (UK term) as our only transport for years. I would take it off occasionally during summer. I've longed to get back into it again and reading about the CDT has really got my enthusiasm going again. I was considering using a modern quad but have found out that the rules involving quads on the roads are quite complicated. I had considered the quad after all the problems I found trying to get a hack together. The quad would have been off the shelf and much more easily obtained. Certainly a second choice.

I am trying to gather some sort of sponsorship for this ride . in aid of cancer research. Perhaps even getting one of the manufacturers interested. My wife is a twice cancer survivor and still rides with me. We have ridden across the USA ,East to west. and also in reverse. Rod up to Alaska and back. All of this was on a Goldwing trike. Back here in Spain we have the trike and a Yamaha xjr1300. She no longer rides the solo with me. We had a down some time ago where she damaged her knee, but the injury repaired well. Every year we explore the European Alps and the Pyrenees of Spain. All camping.
I've enquired about using triumph but have had a reply that they do not recommend their bikes to be used as hacks! I presume that can be the same with many modern manufacturers as a safety answer.
Incidentally my wife is 80 yrs old. I am 79. but age doesn't count here it's what you feel inside. I am a qualified mountain guide and still active.

Assembling a hack in the UK. It would have to have the sidecar on the right, that's the law., so that is out. Also shipping charges will run into thousands. It would be very difficult here I Spain as there just isn't the interest and no dealer to turn to. So if I am to get this adventure off the ground it has to be done remotely and in the USA. Either purchasing a bike and then having the sidecar fitted or seeking through ebay and this forum for ones that are for sale. I will just have to keep my eye open on the forum. Below is my last ride on the XJR and one of our trike rides.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=968814873205849&set=ms.c.eJxFkUsSAyAIQ2~%3BUQZDf~%3BS9WDaZdvgnBEDuq1q40Fa~%3Bdnx7WcOtV~_bg3OH3YxbpSdzd55uPNuzb0tMcW0O3PeE~_E3Jez6T~%3BTl3M99oR~%3BKdmxf~%3B~%3BmDbrE41yXpYucmFfmn3uT93or9PXyhMRl67cvVoFrP1aBf1FXHZ1~_RT7Lly8MfZyrybjnLHm89e6L5n4v6GuR0bcx7~_HR~_X5MPqM~%3B0G8k80yfwT6j7n8ej5NxTzj31fid~%3BsqZZ97py9hXikAP5uvJKz9u6Pmfx34LcozfvqAUh3k~-.bps.a.968814779872525.1073741936.100002320351009&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=961160193971317&set=ms.c.eJwtzckRADEIA8GMtpC4809sjc2zYQo6gBC0dkKRXx873I~_JwnWgREKzqGtgetJfX9GpYqd6e6dOfwbr4jX3Hl2nN8Szlc3e0eue~%3B1K2fYDTi~_cPLxUjcQ~-~-.bps.a.961150877305582.1073741934.100002320351009&type=3&theater

extreme10, now you've gone and done it. Just looked at your photos, beautiful. Am going to have to retire and move to Spain. Spain is one of the few places in Europe that both my wife and I agree where we could retire.

On finding a rig for the CDT, there are always rigs for sale in the States. Check the online Craigslist for any State and there will be a rig for sale. For example, Today I looked at a 2005 BMW GS rig with only 22,000 miles. It could handle the CDT with no problem, but the Dneper tub might be a problem for your wife. Owner is asking US$12,500.

Most rigs for sale are going to be for around town use or highway cruising. You will have to do a lot of looking to find a dual sport rig.

Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Couple of years ago Jim Hyde did the CDT, I was interested in joining; but was told the route was to narrow (or narrow gates).
Anyone here interested in putting up a small group to make the run?

For those of you that have, or are doing it, have a route you can post?

Thanks

Khjphoto ... Anyone here interested in putting up a small group to make the run?

What kind of rig are you thinking to ride the CDT on?

There is a difference between the CDT and the CDR. The CDT has sections which include single track and sections where motorized travel is restricted. The CDR is predominately dirt roads with paved sections.

We followed Cannon's tracks:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cannontracks-great-divide-ride.619934/

There is a large discussion on the CDR here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cdr-master-thread.763745/