Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Reverse Gear?

I'm thinking about putting a reverse on my 1998 FLHTCUI 5 speed. Does anyone have any advise as to what would be a good reverse gear setup? I have been riding for more than 50 years and it's getting very hard to push my rig out of the garage.

I put a Motor Trike reverse on my 2009 Road Glide.  I installed it myself, but it involves drilling into the end of your transmission main shaft to install set screws that hold the gear on.  Not an operation for the faint of heart or if you don't have the skill set and tools.  The kits are also pretty expensive - I think I paid ~$1300 for mine.  I like it though,  I can push my rig around with my feet, but even the slightest incline can be tough.  I tug a Motorvation Formula II Ltd. with my black lab on board, so it's a pretty heavy rig.  I also like that it's mechanical and not electro-mechanical like the reverse on Harley Triglides that use the starter motor.  The website is http://www.motortrike.com/ and you should shop around for the best price - I got mine from Eastern Performance out of Maryland - https://www.easternperformance.com/ (look on their ebay store for possible deals better than their website).

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
https://www.facebook.com/OperationHogNDog/

The drilling into the shaft is for the 6 speed set up. 5 speeds are different. We have been using the Champion sidecars reverse for years. While Champion is closing down or perhaps being sold (they have not been clear on this) they will continue to offer reverse gears. We have been using the Champion reverse gear (and are a dealer) for nearly 20 years with no issue. On the 5 speed you do need to remove the end case from the transmission. This requires a special puller however it is not all that hard to improvise one. You also need to clearance the outer case, we do this on a milling machine as we have one however a dremal would also work and as it does not show it really does not matter. You also need to grind down one "washer" on the shaft that applies the clutch, We do this on a lathe, again as we have one however a bench grinder would be as good.

There is also now a company that has a reverse that replaces the rear sprocket on the bike. Never used it so no recommendations either way.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I've been looking at the champion reverse, and the Baker reverse, but haven't decided which is a better way to go yet. I think I will have to have it installed either way as I'm not up to that. Thanks for your input.

I spoke with the Rep. for the company that makes the rear sprocket rev., but they don't make one for my bike because of the year. Only for 2000 and newer.

I've seen that rear sprocket device, it looks sketchy for tugging a sidecar.  And it's way more expensive than the Motor Trike.  The Baker reverse is essentially the same as Motor Trike's, but it has a replacement shift shaft for the trans, so your reverse operation is on your foot lever rather than a hand operated lever -also way more expensive than the MT.

https://www.facebook.com/OperationHogNDog/

I installed the Motor Trike reverse on my 2003 HD 5 speed and drilled into the shaft to install the two set screws and didn't need a puller and no machining was required. Works very well.

I've being looking at all the different reverse kits out there, day all do there job but I would go with the Baker. I would say it will hold up better then the other units plus work easier. I have to put one in a 19 and that's what we decided to go with. I put enough Bakers and other ones in but I would say Baker is the way to go They make good products and have go support and made in the USA.

I have the Moto Trike one in my 2017. Main reason I picked that one was dealer could have it the next day . Baker it was maybe 7 days or more ,champion was the same . It was installed last May no problems

The Champion reverse will not work on some Harleys that have

aftermarket exhaust systems.

fly

Here's my take on reverse I have three rigs a FLT, K1200LT, and a Ural. Being rides sidecars for over thirty years all over the country. Two of them have reverse I have yet use reverse on either one of them. I have to say the FLT is the easiest to roll around and I always wanted to put reverse on it for me I see no reason. The bike that I'am putting reverse on is a solo bike the owner is in is late 70s and Baker is the only one you don't have to reach down to put it in reverse and worry about keeping the bike balance. you have both hands on the handle bars. Not to get off the subject but electric trim is another thing I see no need for JMO. Reverse if you going to use it then you should have it.

Hi Glen, I'd suggest you talk with Gary McLuen, the guy in the wheel chair in the Sit, Stay, Ride video. If you are interested in contacting him, shoot me an email at tewells99029@gmail and I'll get you his contact information. He put a reverse on his Harley. He's riding a BMW rig in the video. He since sold it to Ned and got a Harley. He did the reverse set up himself and would have some good insight. Good luck!