Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Researching sidecar - need some info

I have a 2015 Indian Chieftain and want to go to 3 wheels, already researched trikes again, sidecar seems to be a very good alternative. IT's cheaper plus really classy looking and it preserve the integrity of the bike, the only change would be the raked triple tree. MY question is the steering at higher speeds, right turns in city driving, and right curves during highway driving. I am 71 y/o, in fairly good shape, kind of small at 5'7", 150 lbs. I want to tour a little bit, will I be able to do it fairly comfortable.

I had a trike before a 2000 electraglide with a CSC daytona kit. I am hesitant to go the trike route again. Some thing in me wants to do something different and exciting. I don't want to make an unwise decision. Your input will help me greatly. Thanks in advance.

Some of the experienced riders are sure to jump in here, but as a new rider to side cars, and one who is very near your age and size I might offer some experience. I bought a 1200 Gold Wing with a California side car in Phoenix and rode it home to Minneapolis this spring. I rode an additional 1500 miles locally after that.

I can't answer about the raked triple tree. My rid still has the original geometry. Steering is a little heavy, but is manageable. The handle bars on the Wing are long and wide providing good leverage. The heaviest handling is at slow speeds, and when cornering aggressively. Normal town riding and highway riding are pleasantly light. One must be aware of the asymmetrical geometry causing the rig to pull to the right on accelerating and the left on braking and adjust for it.

Right turns are an issue for me. Many years on two wheels, and a heavy hand on the throttle, and I had to learn to slow down on right hand turns. I ride with about 100 pounds of ballast in the car. Without it the car lifts often. It is disconcerting, but not a huge problem if I don't panic. The car just settles back down when I finish the turn. If I slow down before entering the turn, it doesn't happen.

Touring with the rig is fun, and it draws attention. I have met many interesting people on the road. The rig draws people over to start a conversation.

I wrote up the ride report on the forum: "First Ride, Phoenix to Minneapolis".
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

We have a new sidecar called the Tomahawk and the Tomahawk SE. These two sidecars are modeled off of the 1940's Indian Princes sidecar but are about 20% larger as the new Indian's are larger bikes and as a people we are getting larger. The SE comes standard with many items that are options on the base Tomahawk and it also has a door in the side making it easy to get in and out of and the trunk opens from the out side. We designed this sidecar to be very easy to install. There is only one small discrete hole to cut in the plastic, the mounts go on the bike in under an hour. The attachment parts from the sidecar to the bike pre set your wheel lead. It comes with a plug and play wiring harness so that there is no splicing of wires. We have matched the upholstery style and colors as best we can, when an order is placed we need to know the color of the seat and the color of the thread used for the stitching. We offer triple tree's to lower the steering effort while you can get by with out them, why would you want to, it is so much nicer to ride with them then with out. I have attached some photo's. More latter in the day of a blue bike we just finished and took photo's of last night, we have yet to down load and edit the photo's
Here is a link to the Tomahawk http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/tomahawk-sidecar-2/ We are developing another version of the basic Tomahawk that will be simplified and sell for only $4995
Here is a link to the Tomahawk SE which is by far the most popular sidecar we make for these bikes http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/tomahawk-sidecar/
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hi 2nd chance. You cant go wrong with the raked triple tree, I put a five degree one on my Harley and it's like power steering.

I will definitely get a raked triple tree. Those picture of the blue Roadmaster are on the spot. I have not decided on any model yet, but am leaning more on the sidecar. I believe that you can go back to OEM triple tree if ever you wanted to. I think I can handle having a sidecar rig just fine. I will get over the apprehension about ordering one soon. I wish I could take a beginners course on riding one before purchasing one.

There are classes on riding a sidecar http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/ however as you have had a trike you are about 90% there all ready. The sidecar will turn differently to the left and to the right but it is easy to adapt. It will pull to the right on acceleration and push to the left on deceleration but it is kind of like counter steering on a two wheeler in that once you have been doing it for a while if asked you would have to stop and think about it as you just learn to adapt and it becomes natural. One thing you will find about a sidecar verses a trike is that the sidecar has a better ride quality to it and it is defiantly more conferrable for your passenger as they can move around as well as see where they are going. In the case of our Tomahawk the sidecar has a full swing arm suspension and the body is also mounted on rubber vibration dampers and you can even order seat heat for your passenger.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I can't find any courses in my area (St. Louis, Mo), don't know anybody with a sidecar so when I get one I'm gonna devote a lot of time to practicing. The Tomahawk look good and sound good, gonna save my money.

i have 5 sidecars and i am 35 miles east of st louis

Is this an offer to test ride one.