Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Replacing torsion bar Motorvation II

Well it looks as if I will be replacing the torsion rod for my wheel. I was heading home from work and as I was making a left hander off the hwy I heard this loud POP and then suddenly the bike leaned over toward the car. I don't mind admitting it spooked me for a moment, I quickly looked and all the connecting rods and knuckles to make sure I wasn't about to be pinned to the car. all looked good so I pulled over and looked it over good. The electric lean was working and the arm was moving but the car just sat there. It is sitting on the safety latch bar, I decided to nurse it the remaining 10 miles to the house, other than being a handful with the major pulling it did fine.
I'm just glad it happened now rather than while on a long trip like the one in June at Sturgis and Yellowstone
I think 20 plus years is a decent enough life for a torsion rod, when you consider what it has to handle
So I will remove the rod this weekend and send it off to Motorvation to have a new one installed.
They told me once they get it it should only take a couple days to cut out the old style rod and spline and press a new one in
I'm guessing this is pretty straight forward to remove but if anyone has any tips or insight feel free to share it
I'll take pictures and post as I do the repairs so others might benefit some day

USCA # 8913

I removed the torsion rod, I had to raise the body off the frame to get the safety bar past the catch on the frame but I didn't have to remove the car from the bike. I just unbolted all but the front bolt and lifted the car
it was easy to remove the rod, I just removed the bolt on the arm connected to the electric lean and pushed the rod out after I removed the broken swing arm part of the assy.

USCA # 8913

just got the call from Motorvation that my torsion rod has been repaired and will be shipping out today. I should get it back and be able to install it back on the bike next weekend
I'll be glad to have my bike back in working order again.

USCA # 8913

well I got the new torsion rod installed this weekend. I learned a few things while installing it. one was it was harder to replace it and get it set than I expected, still didn't get it back where it was before, it won't lean right as far as it did.
but the big thing I found was the torsion rod was not installed properly, I never noticed it I guess because I never had the wheel off and was able to see both sides of the rod before
when I pulled it apart the torsion rod was flush with the piece that rotates the rod and that was flush with the sidecar frame. what I found when putting it all back together was that allowed the rod to stick out a good 1 1/2 inches or more on the wheel side. It also would let the rod move from side to side meaning the wheel could move in and out.
I had to grind the outer edge of this piece because it was kind of mushroomed and the rod couldn't go through it

Things I have noticed after installing the new torsion rod and corrected the excess side play it had
the vibration I had right around 55 is now gone, the pull and push from throttle usage is a fraction of what it was, even braking push has decreased
right away I found it was taking far less effort to steer it at all speeds

USCA # 8913