Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

repairing a Champion electric lean jack?

The electric lean jack on our champion sidecar has stopped moving. It is all the way down and when you try to raise it you can hear the motor engage but it makes a thump thump sound inside as if you were at the end of the travel.
Doesn't matter which way you move the switch. Same sound no movement. It is like it is stuck.

I'm leaving shortly on a trip and am a frustrated that it picked this moment to get stuck, fail or whatever.
I'm going to tear into it in a couple of days hoping I can get it moving again. Anyone have any ideas. Anyone have any idea on how the jack comes apart?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

before you tear into it try taking a pry bar or something like that and apply pressure at the end of the rod and push it back into itself and then try the switch. the ram is a worm gear and it may be that it just dropped off the end of the threads.

USCA # 8913

These units have nylon gears in side, you may have one stripped. They also have an "over run" clutch which is nothing more then a piece of spring steel in the drive that pushes against the gear. This might be slipping, you might be able to find a way to rig it to work. Of course you can always replace the unit. Champion should have these, their supply usually only makes them to order so if in a hurry you will have to go to Champion. If you remove the bolt front the jack end of the actuator, you can turn it out to a position that works better then the one it is stuck in. DO NOT PRY ON IT these are recirculation ball screw jacks, not a simply acme thread unit.
We use to use these but moved onto a different unit that we find to be much more robust, also more expensive which is why we have to charge more for what we call electric trim then what Champion charges for what they call T.I.L.T our units will not work with their sidecars.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30