Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

recommended rear tire replacement

Statistics, 1987 BMW K100RS mated to a Vetter Terraplane. The rear and front tires were replaced when I restored the bike. The mileage was approx. 50000. After installing the Terraplane and dialing it in, the mileage is approx. 53000. The sidecar tire shows almost no wear and the front tire is in excellent condition, however the rear tire is showing accelerated wear in the center tread. I am running the recommended pressure of 43 psi in the rear. I am looking at replacing the rear tire rather soon , imho. What am I doing wrong and is there a better tire , for longevity for the rear on this bike/sidecar combination? Your input would be very helpful. The rig handles very well, I would prefer not to mess with the sidecar position. Thanks, Craig

In general, sidecars cause rear tire life to be about 1/2 of what it is with out the sidecar. The reason for this is the sidecar needs to have wheel lead, wheel lead causes the rear tire to have to scuff around corners. If wheel lead is reduced, tire wear is better however you loose stability.  No free lunch, it is what it is. When possible, and as far as I know not an option on your bike we like to run an automotive tire on the rear as it lasts a lot longer.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

smitty901 and John Holbrook have reacted to this post.
smitty901John Holbrook
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30