Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rebuilding my sidecar

I started my riding at 14 on a Cushman motor scooter and rode solo for more years then I care to remember. Then I started feeling uncomfortable on two wheels. Started looking for a sidecar to rebuild. Found a basket case on Craigslist just outside of Nashville, Tenn. It was a Hannigan Astro 2+2. Went over and brought it home in the back of my pickup truck. I started with the
frame, all new bearings and races, repaired the electric motor on the actuator and painted it. Had to do a lot of body work on the sidecar, changed the tail light to a LED, put a turn signal on the fender, and install a hood scoop for better air in the car. Painted it with base coat clear coat. Installed boat carpeting for upholstry and installed a seat form Tractor Supply. Had to take the hatch cover to Hannigan Sidecar in Murray, KY. to have a new windshield installed. Got my bike and sidecar mounts from Jay at DMC (Really nice mounts Jay). Set it up on what I had read on this and other sites. I guess I got it right because it handles really nice.
Next step a triple tree.

Attached files

Nice job!

Very nice looking rig. you did a great job on the rebuild. I like the scoop you added, what did you use to control the air flow and to keep rain from going in the car from it
I like the seat too, what was it originaly for, you said you got it at a tractor supply

USCA # 8913

I have a 4 inch screw in cap inside the car to keep out rain. The seat is for a tractor.

Wow Taco, great work!

Thanks Bob, you going to be at the Sidecars in the Smokies? If so, we'll see you there.

Possibly.

That´s a really nice sidecar! I like those "space shuttles" . And a nice rebuilding job too.

Good work, Taco. Great result. And you will appreciate the triple tree once installed.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

A MOST AWESOME Restoration! .....Old tom aka papasmurf in New Hampshire