Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear Tires

I have a 2000 FLHTCUI HD that is eating up rear tires every 2000 miles. I have been running stock Dunlaps but changed over to a Continental. No change in milage. I do a lot of touring and this is getting expensive. (This is my second sidecar rig.) This sidecar is a 1992 HD Ultra. I don't want to take it off, you know how much fun these are, so any suggestions?? The alighnment appears to be ok. This does seem to be a little excessive tire wear per miles driven....

Bob?
Are your rear tires scrubbing on either side? Do you notice a feather of rubber on one side of the tread or the other, or uneven wear? If so that's an alignment problem. Probably too much or too litle toe in. You should be getting better mileage unless you are a very aggressive driver.
Some Harley owners are using Coker Classic Firestones on the rear. Cost is about 92 bucks and they have a flatter tread than the newer profile tires. I've found that the Dunlop Elite 11s outlast the Continentals considerably.

Bob,
Gotta agree with Lonnie in that there must be a setup problem. Typically toe-in is off one way or another.
You didn;t mention what Dunlop you were running but I and many have had good results with the 491 Dunlop. These wear pretty good for a motorcycle tire. Dunlop also makes a police tire but I understand they are a little hard to get. You could ask though. These have had excellent reports come back on them. Another popular tire is what is called the 'twin tire' ..this tire was actually developed for an automobile that was designed to have a special wheel to mount two tires on. The concept never caught on and Daunteless Motors ended up buying all the tires that were made. If you go to the Dauntless website you will get more info on these.
Seriously, I would check your toe in very carefully making sure you are measuring from the centerline of the motorcycle tires to a good straight edge mounted , or held, to the outside of the sidecar rim. Toe in being off can chew tires up like butter.

BobI have a 01 HD Road Glide with a California 111 car I run Dunlop 491 tires on the rear I get between 6 and 7000 miles NOW Before 2 maybe 3000 miles if I was lucky till I checked the alignment on my rig Like Lonny and Claude said you may want to take a closer look. Before re aligning,mine was feathering on the inside leaving a light coating of rubber on the rear fender

Thanks for all the info, I talked to Jay at Dauntless about the twin tire, I think I will go with that and also redo the toe and alighnment at the same time. The tire is wearing a little more on the right side than the left, the belt is ok and there are no sighns that the tire is rubbing against anything.....hopefully your suggestions will get me in the wind soon.
Thanks,
Bullitbob.

I can't say enough about the twin tire from Dauntless!!!!! I would recommend also putting one up front. The handling difference is amazing. Steering effort is at least half and highway stability is outstanding! I was going to get a raked triple tree, but figured I'd try the tires first (cost is much less). I'm glad I did. We just rode over 1200 miles last during bike week and my forearms feel great.