Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear Tire Question

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi,
I'm sure that this question has been asked before but here goes. Ive got an 06 1600 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic with what I believe to be an older (torsion bar with leaf springs on the tub) CJ sidecar. The stock rear tire is worn out at just over 4000 miles and needs to be replaced. What would be the best tire to use and does anyone know if a car tire is available in a size that could be used? Thanks for any and all help on this.

I use a metzler marathon ME880 on my V Strom, seems ok, I get really good miuleage with this tire on my Harley.Sidecars are pretty tough on rear tires.

Re car tires, you might try the search function, there has been quite a few posts.

It depends on what size wheel you have, and also finding a car tire narrow enough to work.

Wellcome to the forum

greg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I know how hard sidecars are on tires as I have been riding with them for a little over thirty years now. On all my other bikes have I have always been able to find flat tread tires to fit with no problems, 56 Ariel Square Four with Watsonion Child-Adult sidecar and a 57 Ariel Square Four with a Dnepr sidecar. This is the first late model bike that I have ever owned and that why I ask my question. The rear tire is a 170/60/16 and it should be able to take a 180/60/16 with no problem. I have tried the search engine with no success. Thanks again for your reply.

M

There is a guy in Florida who had posted at SCT about getting in a shipment of twin tires for sale. Dauntless had sold these tires which do fit on a 16" rim and good reports were seen on them. The issue is that they were an auto tire which is now obsolete and when they are gon ethey are gone. To the best of my knowledge Dauntless is out of them.
The link to SCT is below if you want to search for the thread. I will do so at soem point if you cannot find it. You could just do a post asking abou tit and someoen will more than likely help out.
Another good tire for a 16" rim is a dunlop 491 which is a cycle tire. The metzlers are also liked by many as Greg mentioned.
There is also a Dunlop police tire which is popular and said to wear quite well.
You really should be getting better tire wear than 4000 miles. Possibly reducing your toe in a little would help. I know you said you have ahd sidecars in the past but over the years it seems like we have begun to run less trail than we did years ago. I typically start out with 3/4" or less and go from there. This is measured just ahead of the front tire and just behind th erear tire. Of course the bikes wheelk base etc coem into play but it is a godo starting point.
Th eolder CJs are decent sidecars. If you have any conecerns or possible issues with teh sidecar wheel itself contact Frank's Classic Sidecars who area sponsor here. Jim Bryant is a great guy to work with and has begun to manufacture newer M5 wheels which have a new larger center hub which allows short spokes on each side, stainless spokes and a new rim.
Welcome aboard and hope this helps some.

Hi Cluade,
Not worrying about the sidecar wheel. I'm running a 1982 1100 Kaw front disc mag wheel with only one disc fitted with 20 MM bearings and the rear disc calliper and mount off the same bike modified for distancing on the sidecar. The toe-in on the sidecar is 3/4" with the sidecar axle 8" ahead of the bike rear axle. The lean-out is 1/4" and the bike pulls straight with no right or left drag. The O.E.M. tire on the bike just didn't hold up very well and I am looking for suggestions on what might be a good tire to replace it with. I will look into the Metzler and Dunlop tires that you suggested but cannot find the link that you talked about. Thank you again for your reply.

Thinking about the Dunlop Elite III for the rear. Any comments about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

i have been getting about 12000 miles out of Pirelli mt-66 route tires on my V-star 1100/Hannigan Classic rig,best tires i've found so far.

Burned through 2 rear tires on a 4k trip.....
first 2 days had crazy headwinds......there went one,
and then made it home from seattle to tucson in two days......there went the other one.
It was freakin hot out,didn't help.

I run cheap chineese stuff.......burnouts,drifts,slides.......no biggie.

"ride it like you stole it"

Originally written by vs1100star2002 on 8/21/2007 6:11 PM

i have been getting about 12000 miles out of Pirelli mt-66 route tires on my V-star 1100/Hannigan Classic rig,best tires i've found so far.

Geez, Dave, I'm not getting that out of a car tire.

I wonder if high speed highway use is worse, per mile, than slower speed? I don't think I corner it that hard, but I do run 10 over on the interstates.

I have been using Dunlop Elite II's for about 20 years on a 1981 GL1100 , using the MT90-17. Average arround 10-11000 miles on the rear tire. Tried a Cheng Shin once and got a little more than 4000. I think it pays to buy a high mileage tire, unless you enjoy changing tires as a hobby.
Doug Hasert, now an '82 Goldwing/Watsonian Monaco sidecar.

Good day,
Your best bet would probably be a 185 rather than a 180 if you've got the space. Toyo, for example, makes a 185/50R16 available online from 1010 Tire and there are other similar sized tires out there.
Regards,
Norm

I have just installed a 205/60/R16 Goodyear Triple tread car tire on the rear of my Valkyrie. What a difference. The rig is more stable in all conditions, the tire was cheaper by far, and according to reports by Valk owners, last over 25,000 miles (without sidecar use). The only change was to modify the rear fender fasteners. However, the Valk wheel lends itself very well to a car tire as it's wide.
So if your bike has a wide rear wheel, it might be worthwhile looking into. By the way, I've always admired the Ariel square fours, I grew up in that era.
Wayne

Originally written by solo1 on 8/26/2007 4:56 PM

I have just installed a 205/60/R16 Goodyear Triple tread car tire on the rear of my Valkyrie. What a difference. The rig is more stable in all conditions, the tire was cheaper by far, and according to reports by Valk owners, last over 25,000 miles (without sidecar use). The only change was to modify the rear fender fasteners. However, the Valk wheel lends itself very well to a car tire as it's wide.
Wayne

How hard was it to spoon on? I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the Valk wheel is not wider than the wheel on my 07 1800(?).

I use a 195/55 x 16(mini cooper) tire. The first was a Pirelli Eufori Run Flat.It was a real bear to get on due to the stiff side walls, plus only got 7,000 miles. From the "darkside" thread on the Goldwing forum (car tire use)the run flatsmight be safer, but do not last as long.

My 2nd rear tire is a Dunlop 3D,non run flat. I have abour 7500 miles on it now, tread is down to about 6/32 (I think they start at 11 or 12/32).

Another thing I like about the ct is in really fast stops...the rear tire doesn't lock up so easily (I dont have ABS).

I didnt realize a 205 would fit.

My son is a master tech and installed the tire at the Pontiac dealership. It was a bear to put on. Took two of them to spoon it on.
I'm not sure about the wheel width on the Valk. It fits ok after removal of the cage for the nuts holding on the rear half of the fender, not a big mod.
I haven't been able to lock up the rear wheel, even though it's equipped with the SS braided brake line. This rig stops!

i bought 2 duro tube type tires in may
from american motorcycle tires. these
are 16"x5.00 with a car tread design.
they are wearing well and riding smooth.
i really like them and the best part is
they only cost $39.00 each!

Which model? I looked on American Motorcycle site, couldn't seem to find anything with a car tire tread?

Originally written by shortcut on 9/2/2007 6:18 PM

Originally written by gregbenner on 9/2/2007 6:31 PM

Which model? I looked on American Motorcycle site, couldn't seem to find anything with a car tire tread?

Originally written by shortcut on 9/2/2007 6:18 PM

look under duro classic/vintage tires
HF 302B 5.10-16 FRONT/REAR
NOW THERE $44.35

Shortcut, how many miles do you have on the rear tire?

Originally written by akathetroll on 9/3/2007 5:55 PM

Shortcut, how many miles do you have on the rear tire?

i just mounted it in may. i would say about only 2000 miles.
no significant sign of wear. rides very well and the way it looks
i am expecting good mileage. maybe 10000 to 12000.

I'm at 25000kms with my BFG...

Page 1 of 2Next