Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear tire perference ~ Moto Guzzi California

Hi all,

Time for a new rear tire on the California EV 1100 Hack. I had hoped to convert the rim to something that I could install a car tire on but that has not yet happened.

Currently the rig wears a rapidly wearing out Conti Tour 130/90/17 and it has been an ok tire as far as wear goes but I really would like to use a car tire on it.

Can anyone point me to a suitable 17" diameter car tire that would work on that rim...? I am just not finding anything...

Thanks for any assistance here.

Best,
Rob

First the disclaimer... I'm not suggesting that you do this but I know that others have done it successfully.

Automobile tires are actually smaller than motorcycle tires of the same rim diameter. I know it doesn't make sense but well, that's the way it is. This makes much more difference on smaller rim diameters [no, I don't know why] so that it is almost impossible to get a 15" car tire on to a 15" motorcycle rim. As rims diameters get larger the difference is smaller. Some folks have very successfully mounted 17" car tires on 17" motorcycle rims. The features [bumps and grooves] on the car rims that keep the tire in place aren't duplicated on motorcycle rims but things seem to work anyway.

Look up the actual outside diameter and width of your current tire and buy a car tire based on those measurements [and whatever extra you think you can get away with]. Many online tire sellers have complete dimensional data listed for the tires they sell, I usually try TireRack.com first.

-OR-

Contact David Hinze on the ADV Riders forum [or send me a PM and I'll give you a phone #]. He makes beautiful auto wheels to fit bikes. I don't know if he does Geese but he built an incredible wheel for the rear of my BMW R110RT. VERY high quality work!

Good Luck.

Al
I did spend a bit more time searching and found a Taxi Tire that would work although I will need to cross reference the size and find an outlet for one. I'll check the Tire Rack...

Does David go by his own name on ADV...? That sounds as if that rim fitment would be a good permanent solution.

Thanks very much.

Best,
Rob

Taxi tire is 175R16" your wheel is 17" Will you have clearance to install 175 mm tire instead 130 mm?

Rob D - 3/18/2016 9:02 PM

Does David go by his own name on ADV...?

'Sorry, I should have thought of that David is "Stroker" on ADV Rider.

VLAD - 3/19/2016  2:32 PM

Taxi tire is 175R16" your wheel is 17"  Will you have clearance to install 175 mm tire instead 130 mm?

Ahh, where there's the problem right there... 😀  I do not know about the clearance but I'll check this weekend.  Looks as if I have some more research to do on tires too.

Thanks,

Rob

Al Olme - 3/19/2016 3:57 PM

Rob D - 3/18/2016 9:02 PM Does David go by his own name on ADV...?

'Sorry, I should have thought of that David is "Stroker" on ADV Rider.

Al,

I will just stick another Conti on the Hack for this year and contact Stroker to get the replacement wheel going in earnest for next year.    Just as a side note, we are getting SNOW right now... 🙁

Thanks much,

Rob

Al Olme - 3/18/2016 3:57 PM -OR- Contact David Hinze on the ADV Riders forum [or send me a PM and I'll give you a phone #]. He makes beautiful auto wheels to fit bikes. I don't know if he does Geese but he built an incredible wheel for the rear of my BMW R110RT. VERY high quality work! Good Luck.

Hey Al,

Well I received a note back from David, Wow, little spendy...!  I am certain that the wheels are very nice and I am not the parsimonious type but I think, for the miles that I log on the rig that I'll just keep buying tires that wear out in an unreasonable time... lol

Thanks very much for the contact, I'll think it over a bit more before I reply to David.

Best,

Rob

Rob,

I understand that Maine got about 9" of snow... we're due for a similar coating tomorrow. Sadly, my mother sold off our property in Maine. We had a piece of shore southeast of Ellsworth on Eastern Bay. Probably covered with condos by now.

Hey Al,

Yeah, we joked about my taking the plow off the ATV, storing the snow blower and taking a few of the motorcycles out of storage about two weeks ago. I told riding my buds and Wife Sue that they could all blame me if it snowed again... Well guess what... lol

So, no new condos East of Ellsworth that I am aware of, the little towns of Trenton and Lamoine like the water front too much to let it go to that... I think, I have not been up there for a bit. Plus that is the Bar Harbor area and the building rules are pretty tight and for good reason.

I'll take a blast up and have a look around and report back... as soon as the snow goes away... again.

Have you been up here to go across of even see the new Penobscot Narrows bridge... ? Quite an engineering marvel, high observation tower and all. I'll send a photo along...

Best,

Rob

there was a long techy post on car tyres on motorcycle rims explaining how the beads are different + fitment is not quite "right" although many do it without issue. there are places where it is not legal as well. other motorcycle tyres may be better + generally one size up is acceptable.

As far as bead diameter goes it is onaly the 15" tires that can be a real issue. Other sizes are no prpblem and actually some 15" cycle wheels seem to be a non issue also. For a 17" rim there is a 175/55x17 avaible We have mounted a few of these and so far so good. http://www.tires-easy.com/175-55-17/achilles-tires/atr-k-economist/tirecode/MAN175517?gclid=CLz135LGuMwCFcxZhgoddcML3g

Al also mentioned bead design differences related to car vs bike rims. This is true but has never been an issue as he also mentioned. Some make a big deal out of it but personally have never seen nor heard of an issue related to it. Face it we are running side car which are no longer a single track vehicle anyhow. This means there are side loads put onto the rim and tire no matter if it is a car or a motorcycle tire. These loads are never encountered on a solo bike. Do the tires stay on the rims? Yes. So whether you are showing off flying the chair with a passenger in it or drifting through a turn under power being wild and crazy the bike rims seem to keep the bead seated too.

prolly a lot of info on non conventional mountings may be to keep people buying more expensive shorter lasting motorcycle tyres! many times when the $$$$ get pumped to lobbyists laws are made to benefit others, tire pressure monitors come to mind!! but to each his own.

Claude,

Does all the 15" drama apply to a tube-type rim?

Similar, adding a tube when installing a CT on a tubeless 15" MC rim?

Thanks,
Michael

With the 15" tires the car tire bead is smaller than it should be to go on a 15" cycle rim. This has created issues for some and in the past has caused some injuries when mounting. I have pics of sidewalls blown out etc. where some got the tire mounted then put a ton of air in it to seat the bead. Not good.

rodder - 5/1/2016 9:53 AM

prolly a lot of info on non conventional mountings may be to keep people buying more expensive shorter lasting motorcycle tyres! many times when the $$$$ get pumped to lobbyists laws are made to benefit others, tire pressure monitors come to mind!! but to each his own.

Bernard,

How do lobbyists fit into the problem with 15" car tires having a bead that is smaller diameter that 15" bike tires? I'm confused. No one here is trying to keep folks buying more expensive bike tires, pretty much the opposite. We're just passing on information on things that really don't work all that well. I can confirm that starting with 16" rims and going up, the car tire on a bike rim thing works pretty well.

overseas it is not legal to mount car tyres on motorcycles. i was just noting the many useless but costly laws that are made with donations to the appropriate people + i would not be surprised if a similar law comes to the USA. not totally related but just noting how $$$$ run the world + makes the laws

I ran mg 17 inch car tire on the back of my cal EV. They cost $140.00 each and only lasted 3000 miles t0 3500.mi. I ran Kenda challenger 6 ply tires they would last from 7 to 8000 miles at the cost of $55.00. MHO the Mg tires were a waist of time and money. But had to try.
I put 30000 mi on that side care rig with no problem with the kenda tires.
Lloyd