Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear Tire for Goldwing/Hannigan rig

Page 1 of 2Next

I searched the threads expecting to find much information on this subject, but didn't find any. About to buy rear tire for recently purchase 95 Wing/w Hannigan 2+2. I know sidecar use eats rear tires like candy. Is there any advantage to paying the big $$ for the Tires available with all the technology for better cornering and sidewall technology, when putting on a sidecar rig. I'm wondering if I could get similar mileage out of a lesser costing tire. Also when i sold my last rig, I was just starting to hear of those running antique car tires on the rear. Any evidence that this is worthwhile?

Click on the Search option on the top line of this page left end. Type in "car tires" in the search line. I got 30+ hits. I am not one to issue opinions on the subject as my latest rig came with an automotive wheel adapted to the BMW hub by Claude Stanley.

Huge difference m/c tire vs a car tire.
1.Much better braking
2.Triple mileage replacement intervals
3.Much quieter
4.Much more cash for adding miles to your odomter (yrmv)
5.You can buy them anywhere
6.Much smoother ride quality

I've had 3 GL 1500'S and have run car tires on them all.
I'm running a 15" rear on a modified rim for my current 1500 but 16"'s work great too.
Triple darksider 1 on rig 1 on rear and front tire is a rear tire reversed.
Sorry I do not recall size's but easy to find online.

It is no advantage to paying the big $$ for the Tires available with all the technology for better cornering and sidewall technology for sidecar use.

I wouldn't run a classic car tire if you can find a modern tire that will work with your rim. Classic tires are generally not intended for high mileage long-term use. More for good looks, and driving around at moderate speeds. Modern car tires on the rear of your bike, and on the sidecar, will definitely outperform a motorcycle tire for traction and longevity and load bearing ability. You're looking for a 175/60-16 for the rear. Other possible sizes are 195/55-16 (tight fit), 175/55-16 (shorter) or 175/65-16 (taller).

On the front of the bike, car tires are often linked to steering issues so, even though a car tire is longer-wearing, a motorcycle tire up front will normally provide the most predictable handling. To improve front tire wear, though, many of us mount a REAR motorcycle tire on the front if we can find one in a size that fits the front rim. Rear moto tires have a less rounded profile than a front tire so they have a somewhat wider contact patch, and many tire manufacturers use harder compounds in their rear tires to improve mileage. Many rear tires should be mounted "backwards" on the front to optimize braking performance, but it all depends on the tire.

Here is the link to the Darksider forum. There is a lot of information specific to your bike there.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Warning: Once you have gone to the darkside, there is no coming back. Have taken four different personal rigs to the darkside with positive results.

I'm 100% with DRONE on the "Classic Tire" issue. They are built with the restoration market in mind where original appearance is more important than tire wear. Also, since they are built for a small market you may find that when you buy your new tire it is already several years old.

Regarding going to the darkside. If you really want to full story, show up for the USCA National Rally in Corning, NY. One of the leading darkside builders in the country is going to be there with some samples and he's more than willing to talk about the issues and advantages as well as your options.

OK... I have been in the motorcycle community off and on for well over 30 years. But not until recently have I ever heard of this "Darkside". I have no Idea what that refers to. Can someone please explain what the darkside is?

Going "Darkside" is simply using an automotive tire on your bike. Don't blame me, I didn't make it up ;^)

If WE can't blame you Al for the dark side WE can surely find something to blame you for !
HA ! HA !

Don't blame me, I didn't make it up ;^)

It wouldn't be the first time.

AAHhhhh... now i understand... well i guess i am one of the old timers, cause i had an antique car tire on my 78 wing with a Urai sidecar when i let it go... i never had any trouble and the wear length was doing very well.

Unfortunately, I talked to about the only independant shops in the area and he will not mount one if I get it... and I'm fairly certain none of the big name shops will either, so unless i want to mount it myself, I may be out of luck.

DRONE - 5/13/2017 4:06 PM
Other possible sizes are 195/55-16 (tight fit), 175/55-16 (shorter) or 175/65-16 (taller).

195/55-16 will NOT fit GL1500. You also can use taxi tire 175/80-16.

A 195/55-16 WILL fit a 1500, I have seen it in person and it will work. It is a tight fit and the clearance is minimal but it does fit

USCA # 8913

Many people who tried told me it will not fit, but if you seen it in person you may be right. 195-205 will fit 1800. Question is why will you install 195 when 175 fit with 1/2"-5/8" clearance on each side of swing arm. And 175 -15 mm wider then OEM.

I can't say I would put the 195 on my bike as I am more than happy with my 175, but it's good to know if needed we have options.

USCA # 8913

I used an Austone taxi tyre on my last GL1500 outfit and it was great. Much better grip. I ran it for about 2000 miles before I sold the outfit and it looked as good as new, and at about £55, much cheaper than a bike tyre.
When my present Gl1500 SE outfit needs a rear tyre it will be an Austone.
Sid

OK it appears that tire width will vary with brand. for example a Yokohama 195 will NOT fit on the 1500 without rubbing the swing-arm
but the tire my friend put on fit just fine
so the answer as to will a 195 fit is Yes and No, I now am of a mind that with it being that close why chance it
if it's that close and your tire pressure goes down some you could start rubbing the arm and not notice it at first
not worth it in my book, but that's just my 2 cents worth

USCA # 8913

Do you know what tire your friend put on?

I'm going to find out and will post when I do.

USCA # 8913
Page 1 of 2Next