Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear shock too soft Yamaha FZ1 2005 + sidecar

Hi,

Last june, I have installed a Vetter sidecar on my FZ1. After riding it for 3 months, I have found that my rear shock is really too soft, even if it is adjusted to the hardest settings.

I'm looking for to replace it or to modify it.

I have found that several FZ1 owners have installed Yamaha R6 shock for replacement but I'm not sure it will answer my special needs.

Did anybody already replace the shock on this bike after a sidecar installation?

Thanks.

You might want to chat with Klaus at EPM Performance. He sells and installs a wide range of shocks for a wide range of bikes and rigs. And he is one of our advertisers.

Home

One thing you will need to know is the total weight of your rig and the weight on each wheel.

Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

I would go aftermarket, and with one that is sprung for your total load. Not much point on putting another bike shock onto your rig. My experience is that stock bike shocks are OK for solo use, but anything more than that and they are lacking.

Well, I found a local company which builds shock and they offer me to keep my stock shock and they will change the spring for a harder one. What do you think of that? my concern is how to define how much hard the spring should be? Any comment?

Roulemabosse my name is Tom, I do not have a sidecar but want to put it on my FZ1 to ride it around town. Where did you get mounts for your side car that are compatible with your 2005 FZ1? I own a 2002 FZ1 and I am trying to get some mounts compatible with my bike and do the same.

Thanks

Hi Tom, I bought the FZ1 and the sidecar separelety and I bring them to CSR in Ontario. This guy is a race sidecar builder and he designed and built custom mounts. The cost was around 1200$CAD. Here is his website if you are in the same area http://csrsidecars.webs.com/

If you like, I could send you some pictures, you may find somebody in your area if you are too far from CSR.

Check with Jay at DMC.