USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rear lower mounting bracket

I was just loading my Harley softail on my utility trl to take to Pa. for the summer and the rear mount just hit the ramp and the bolt sheared off and came apart. After closer examination, i realized what a crappy design this is as the mount and bolt are of poor design, too weak. It is too bad that a company like Motovation cannot see this and come up with a larger bolting bracket that will withstand a little more abuse. I guess i was fortunate that it happened while i was loading it on a trailer at my house instead of on the road somewhere maybe just going slow over a speed somewhere and ending up stranded. I really like my sidecar rig, but not the cheap weak mounts, too bad.

Sorry to hear of your problems, you should contact Motovation to see if they have any up grades and what if anything they will do for you. Most companies like a chance to help and make improvements on their products and with out feed back may have no idea that there is an issue.
We do make mounts for your bike that will work with Motovation sidecars however we also up size the lower mounting bosses and double wall the clamps to take some of the flex out of their systems.
If we can be of help let me know, but first give Motovation a chance.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks Jay, I will give them a call and see what they say and more important, what will they do for me. How much heavier of a lower bracket do you make for the sidecar and will it be a big project installing it. If yours is much better , i won't even bother with Motovation and just order one from you. I will call you in the next few days and talk to you about your mount and the install, Thanks PS, Even though you are in the sidecar business to make a profit, naturally, i enjoy reading your posts and replies to members as you have a wealth of knowledge and i honestly think you really care for sidecar people.

Our set up does not use the same type of lower connectors that Motovation uses as such to change over to our stuff will cost a lot more then going with Motovation. We change the part that slides into the frame of the sidecar called a clamp. Motovations clamp tubes are 1 1/4 inch and quite long, we find that they flex more then we like as such we double wall these then on the clamp end we up size it to 1 1/2 inch which is significantly stiffer then 1 1/4 inch. Then the part that slides into the clamp we call a boss is 1 1/2 inch O.D. and on its end we run a heim joint. I heim joint is like a eye bolt but has a bearing built in. We use the hiem joint as with out it when you adjust your lean out you are forcing stress into the system, forcing stress into the system is also why on our struts (the arms going to the upper mounts) we do not use the "turn buckle" type, we make you take one end off and thread them in or out. With turn buckle people will adjust both ends thinking that if they go with the same number of turns on each end all will be ok, but as they are at different angles this is not the case. We like the strength of the mounts coming from their design more then just brute force. We also do not chrome plate our parts, chrome has issues that are beyond what I wish to go into with this post, our parts are powder coated either gloss or semi gloss black or by special order most any color. As to specifics on our lower mount for your bike I would need to know exactly which year and model of softail you have as we make a few variants of this mount.
Hopfully Motovation will help you and will make design changes to the part.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Dan,

This list has been active for more than 15 years and while there have been complaints about virtually all the manufacturers for one thing or another, this is the first time we've heard of an issue with Motorvation's rear mount. Can you give us some background? Are you the first owner? How long have you had it? Did Motorvation do the mounting? Have you just called Mary at Motorvation and asked if they had a fix? My experience has been that they are very open to helping if there's an issue. Also, you said it was a bad design. Why do you say that? If you are basing it on the part not standing up to [your word] abuse when hitting a trailer, that might not be within the design parameters. Since this is not a part known to be prone to failure, maybe no redesign is necessary. Maybe a little more care in use and and less abuse is called for.

I hope everyone will give the manufacturers a chance to stand behind their products before starting to bash the products. I also wish that folks would give us a full picture on a failure and their credentials for making a call like "crappy design" and "cheap weak mounts". If you have an engineering degree or just experience in a related field, tell us. It will make your statements carry more weight. There are hundreds if not thousands of Motorvation sidecar out on the road, the company has been in business for almost 40 years. While they have had failures LIKE ALL MANUFACTURERS DO, they have a good reputation and a lot of happy customers. Broad generalizations based on a single incident of admitted abuse engender no respect.

Al, you and Jay made good points and maybe and i repeat, maybe, i went a little overboard calling it a cheap crappy mount. I WILL state that the mount has only been on the bike for a total of about 4 mos. and the mounts were new when installed. When i called the design crappy i was comparing it to another sidecar rig i also own of which the mounts were purchased from Jay and the ARE much heavier in thickness and all you have to do is look at them and know they are much better. I do not need a engineering degree to know that a 1/2" bolt is to thin to be used in a mount, when a 5/8" or 3/4" would be soooo much stronger for just a few pennies more. These modern sidecars are very expensive costing many thousands of dollars and owners want the strongest safest parts used in the building and mounting of them, period. What difference does it make if the rig costs $8000 or $8025 by using super strong parts? Do not get me wrong as i really like the looks of my Spyder and everyone else likes it too, i was just giving my thoughts on a certain part of it, which i am not totally happy with. I am not starting a war here, i am just giving my opinion as you are able to give yours when you agree or disagree with something.

Dan,

Where did you get the mounts and who did the mounting? Motorvation uses the passenger peg hole [which is 1/2 inch] on older models and a rear sub frame on newer ones, which do you have? If you call Mary or Gary at Motorvation I'm sure they can help.

Al, I had A Wing And A Chair do the mounting of the sidecar and in my opinion there are not too many people that know any more about sidecar mounting than Doug. I totally trust anything he does and he is so darn knowlegable about any sidecar out there and I am sure you heard of him. Now, getting back to the mount itself, I am pretty sure it is a peg hole mount as that is the 1/2" bolt that broke, the one with the eye. Now, let me also tell everyone reading this post that out of nowhere Mary from Motovation called me today and left a message wanting me to call her and discuss the problem i am having with the mount. I was not expecting a call from her as i was going to call her tomorrow and talk to her. This shows me that they are a GREAT company and want their customers to be happy and that means a lot to me and it should to anyone out there looking to buy a sidecar. I have owned Harley's for over 50 years and i never had them call me about a problem i was having, but again Mary did and all i can say is, WOW. I will talk to her tomorrow and then i will make one last post about how the conversation went. and what the final results were.

As i stated yesterday, i would make one last post about this issue and be done with it. I did talk to both Gary and Mary and as usual they were very concerned with my problem and did everything and more to solve the issue. I could not ask for a better company to do business with than Motovation and should be receiving the broken parts in the mail soon. Remember, this was my fault as i was the one that hit the ramp in the first place and as any normal person does, i put the blame on something else. Well, anyways the issue is settled and i am very very happy with Mary and her company at Motovation and should be riding the rig pretty soon. I also want to thank Al and Jay for their replies too me.

Dan,

Very happy to hear the things worked out for you.