Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rear car tire size for my GL1500 tug

Well I think I have got most everything to put my 1500SE back together: EZ Steer for the front end, SS brake lines all around, Card rebuilt kit from Randakk, Rear caliper and master cylinder rebuilt kit as well, New HD mufflers, not counting the work done last season... I am just missing a new set of tires.
I have my mind made up for the front. It will be the Avon Cobra Trike.
On the rear I want to put a Michelin X-Ice Xi3. However it does come in 2 sixe: P195/55R16 or P195/60R16. The 55 ratio is about 6.3% smaller while the 60 ratio is about 3.3% smaller. I know that the 195/55 has been used a lot in Run Flat version but is discontinued anyway. I stay shy of run flat without TPMS...
Just looking comments on the 60 ratio option?
Thanks.

P195/55R16 or P195/60R16. will not fit in Gl1500. Will fit GL1800. Plus they will be too low. I use taxi tire 175R16. It is little taller then OEM. Work good for me. Make sure you check alignment of your rig after EZ Steer for the front end and tires installation. If you do not do it your rear tire will be eaten in no time (500mi).

VLAD is correct the 195 won't fit a 1500, I run a 175/60R16 on mine, its a little bit shorter than OEM so your RPM's are higher then normal but it does a good job

Make sure you check alignment of your rig after EZ Steer for the front end and tires installation. If you do not do it your rear tire will be eaten in no time (500mi).

not sure I understand this, what changes in alignment when adding easy steer

USCA # 8913

When you install EZ Steer front of your bike will be little lower. It will change alignment of the rig and rear tire will be eaten up bold on RH side looking from the back. I install car tire on 1500 in 2010. By 2011 i had over 6k miles on it with no visible damage on tire. Only 1/32 of tread loss in 6000 miles. EZ Steer installed in 2011 right b4 I go to Dayton, OH rally. 500 + from Denver on East side of Kansas i notice rear tire eaten up. I return home after doing some lean adjustment to sidecar. I know at least 2 more people who had same problem after triple tree installed.

Attached files

Wow,, good thing you noticed that when you did
that could have been a disaster

USCA # 8913

It is why I warning everybody about important rig realigning after installing raked tree or different size tires.

Thanks for the warning. Brock from who I got the EZ Steer told me that the front would go down by about 1/2" and the rig alignment should be adjusted accordingly. Right now the sidecar is off the bike so that I can work on it easier... so I will have to go through a complete set-up anyway...
Now I am sure that I read multiple posts saying that the P195/55R16 Run Flat was used on the 1500. That's why I zero in on that size. I was looking at the 60 ratio so that the rear end would not go down too much and my frame would stay level. A Run Flat would be much wider than a regular tire because of the thickness of the sidewall compare to a regular passenger tire. So I was assuming if the 195 Run Flat fits for sure the P195 would as well. Am I making an incorrect assumption?

If you have OEM springs in your front fork they will be too soft for sidecar use. I install progressive springs in mine. Like this upgrade. Did try 60 ratio tire and did not like it. Bike too low and not enough clearance. Did scratch frame on any . Even with bigger rear tire have to put 2x4 block under front tire to change oil.
195mm tire WILL NOT FIT 1500. Run Flat or not Run Flat . 195 and 205 will fit 1800 but not 1500.
175mm tire will fit 1500 with only about 1/2" in each side of swing arm. It help to deflate tire b4 you install it.
OEM tire 160mm.

With a self-supporting run-flat tire, I don't think the tire is always wider. The sidewall is thicker, yes, but not necessarily wider. Take a look at this cutaway illustration of a regular tire (top) versus a run-flat tire (bottom.)The profile ratio of these two tires are different, but the point is to show that thickness does not equate to width.

Also, regarding which tire to choose, I realize that some winter tires have nice aggressive tread patterns but be forewarned that winter tires also use softer compounds so you get much less longevity as compared to an all-season or a summer tire.