Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

REAR BIKE WHEEL REMOVAL WITH EML SWING ARM

I have a new to me '85 k100 with EML sidecar. The bike only has 37k miles and I suspect that the drive shaft splines have never been cleaned and lubed. Therefore, I need to perform this maintenance item. I assume the double sided rear swing arm and car tire modification is associated with the EML kit. I will need to get the rear wheel removed in order to remove the rear drive and then the drive shaft. At this point I'm unsure how to begin to remove the rear wheel from the swing arm. I could simply start tearing things apart but I'm hoping that one of you more experienced wrenches out there can give me a few pointers on how to get started. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lynn Keen

Attached files

Exactly the same question I asked 5 years ago. Try this. Remove the shock. remove the brake caliper. unbolt the aluminum plate. remove the 4 wheel nuts under the plate. rotate the plate to the rear. There should be room to slide the plate and bearing assembly off the studs. The BMW wheel bolts are underneath the plate and bearing assembly. Harold in Kansas

I have a 85 BMW K100 EML, if its shifting OK let it go, the 85 model is different then every one after that, it has more splines. different tail,seat,tank,side covers,& fairing.

Dave, He is asking about the drive shaft splines and they should be checked. . On a solo bike I check those splines every new rear tire. The EML back tire will go three times the solo tire and the splines give no warning of failure. The cluch splines give warning but my 85 EML rig starts to hangup about every 15K miles