Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Rake kit ?

Hey gang just found this and was wondering will this reduce steering effort on my '01 FLSTS? When I added the sidecar effort went way up.
Plus they got a bunch of cool accessories check it out.

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Harley-Springer-Softail-Rake-Kit.html

Thanks to all.

Not sure just what they are doing with this as they claim an improvement in handling on two wheels. You should contact the manufacture and ask them what the trail is with these installed. If it reduces trail it would be helpful. If it keeps it the same they are just changing the look. If it increases trail then it would be a bad idea. If they can not tell you I would be very suspect of their engineering abilities as all it takes to work this out are the base measurements and some trigonometry.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hey Jay found this:
Reducing the trail takes some of the labor out of steering - important for those with sidecars.

-lowering rockers do same thing.. reduce trail 1 " and easier low speed manueuvering.. for about $300 you could install lowering kit rear and rockers front.. guys say tbis improves handling 100%..at the cost of cornering of course but since you dont have to lean with a sidecar no cornering issue.. I would try that and a fork damper to car.. do some research it might be way cheaper way and look cooler too... was going to lower my bike for the performance but found out I'll be draggin not only my footboards but destroy my fishtails too on even mild curves so nixed the idea but did a ton of research on trail and rake.

http://speeddealercustoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Springer-Rocker-Install.pdf

Will this help?
Just trying to avoid dropping alot of cash.
Thank you.

Woody, take a look here for a prior discussion re: reducing trail on a Springer: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9832&posts=13#M68280

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Yes, of course reducing trail makes steering easier with the sidecar however not sure that this is what they are doing with the kit you asked about. It was hard to tell in the photo's and their description being for two wheeled use reducing trail harms handling and they are claiming improved handling on two wheels. So ask them what it does to trail. Just changing the "Rake" does little to improve steering and if fact technically as the front end raises and lowers more with more "Rake" makes steering worse. HOWEVER many people when they change out triple tree's with tree's that move the front wheel forward which does reduce trail mistakenly call this "raking" the front end. It is not, Changing the actual rake can not be done with the triple tree's. It has to be done at the point where the triple tree's pivot.
What you are after for three wheel use is a reduction in trail. If done with the triple tree's the front wheel moves forward by about two inches and looks just like changing the rake but the actual "Rake" stays the same.
So ask the manufacture what trail you end up with if you use their product.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hey Jay and others,
Still looking and found these :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-HARLEY-SPRINGER-ROCKERS-FRONT-END-FORKS-SOFTAIL-FXSTS-FLSTS-PAUGHCO-DNA-/292047237380#viTabs_0
will these reduce the trail on my FLSTS?
I believe they are 2" longer than stock.
Could it be this easy to reduce the trail?
Thanks to all.
P.S.
Love my springer just tough to ride long distance with the side-car.

judging by the pictures this kit won't do . contrary to what some of the other replies said, you need a raked tree. put one eith 5 degree rake on my 1979 suoerglide with cj sidecar ,cut steering effort in half. contact custom tripletrees.com

Woodyambison,

I have had Vulcan Engineering's 7.5 degree rake kit for the Heritage Springer installed on my rig , a 1997 Heritage Springer with a Motorvation Spyder hack. I can report that handling has been tremendously improved and that my slow-speed, front end shimmy has been completely eliminated. My rig handles like a totally different machine. So far, I can see nothing negative about the installation. I have no hesitation about recommending the installation of the rake kit to improve your steering and handling.

Be aware that you may have to modify some other components if you do install the kit. After the install on my FLSTS, here is a list of some other items that had to be modified. Since your FLSTS is a 2001, these may not be rnecessary. 1) the windshield bracket had to be modified for proper fit, 2) the headlight/passing lights mounts had to be modified to allow the lights to tilt down far enough to have a proper forward beam angle, 3) because in a max deflection turn, the riser would hit the front of the console, the fork stops had to be modified by drilling the frame and installing allen screws to limit how much the handlebars could be turned. This somewhat limited the turn radius of the rig, 4) the new angle of the windshield lowered it and resulted in a reduction in the protection area (perhaps could be remedied with a taller shield), 5) the raked angle lowered the handle bars and even with the bar rotated the max amount up, the grips ended in a slightly lower position (I found this was a much more comfortable position for the grips. For comparison, I'm 6' tall and wear 34"-35" sleeves), 6) the front of the bike was lowered by about one inch and, in my case, this allowed the fringe on the front mudflap to drag the ground. I'll probably just let natural abrasion wear it down.

I have edited this post to change the year of what I thought was OP's FLSTS from 2003 to the correct year of 2001 and to remove the pix. I have not subscribed to a third party host as yet.

Sincerely,
Jake (Esau)

Thanks Esau this is Exactly what I am looking for and thanks to our mutual friend (Rangers) this kit should be oPn my '01 FLSTS Heritage Springer.
Peace