Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Quick Question

Page 1 of 2Next

I am about to start the process of adding a sidecar to my '03 Heritage Springer, FLSTSI. I will probably have a lot of questions as this proceeds but for now I have just one:

Liberty or Motorvation?
Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of sidecars, Steve!

I have no answer for your question, just here to say Hello.

Hi Steve, I run a Liberty on my FLH and have had it for a good number of years now. Haven't regretted a minute of that time!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going with Liberty.

You might also take a look at our Classic it is pretty much the same body style as Liberty but for less money and with less of a lead time.
Liberty is located only about 40 miles from us. If you can swing it why not come by and see both?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
2328 Roosevelt AVE
Enumclaw WA 98022

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I'd go with Jay and DMC. 🙂

Thanks to all for the advice. Let the process begin.....

Hi Steve Ive got a Motorvation Spyder on my 2001 Heritage Springer and love
it (lead time 20 months).
I also have a DMC Classic on my 2002 FLHTCUI (lead time 5 months) great design and for my money the DMC wins not for the lead time advantage but a little better frame.
Liberty is good too just do not know lead times.

Our lead times are currently at 4 months, we are working on moving to a larger facility, should know more if the sale goes through next week. If we can buy the larger building it will allow us to add two more people in every department as well as bring powder coat and paint in house. With this we hope to get our lead times to under 6 weeks, the goal is 2 weeks for painted a few days not painted. Of course it will take time to find and train the right people and buy the needed equipment.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Again, thanks for all the advice.

I went with Liberty. Here in the Southeast (I live in Alabama, Roll Tide!) the few sidecars I have seen have all been Liberty. The only one I have seen at a dealership was a Liberty. I just could not consider a different brand without being able to see it.

Once the build actually begins I will start a build thread and post updates.

Steve

Did you pay half up front with a guarantee on delivery date for full payment? Some disreputable suppliers (NOT Liberty!) have been know to take full payment then him and haw a lot when they miss their delivery "estimate".

Anyway, I look forward to your build thread! In the mean time, read all you can about "piloting" a rig. Perhaps take a S/TEP class. I know there are some in Texas. You are a step ahead of the average motorcyclist as you are familiar with yaw and waggle. Two movements that most lack the appropriate "butt sensors" for.

As for me, I’ll just sit back and take notes

Steve:
This is one of the benefits of the Forum. Enjoy!

You will not go wrong with Liberty. Pete Larson makes one of the nicest looking sidecars on the planet. Attention to detail is excellent. Others, including us at freedom Sidecars also do a spin off of that earlier Harley sidecar but Liberty takes things a step higher in some ways. Good choice !!

It appears you are also associated with Hannigan Trikes. My father has a Hannigan Trike and he loves it!

Attached files

DAD_TOTD.pdf (297.7 KB) 

SteveThePiolet we do a few trikes and most are Hannigan productes although we have done a few champions also.

Another Quick Question:

As I get ready to break down my bike for the sidecar build (fork mod, new tires, etc.) I am wondering the worth of a reverse gear. I am considering installing a true reverse similar to what my Dad has on his trike. Thoughts?

Assuming you don't have any ability issues, bad knee, unstable ankle, weakness issues, then the need for reverse can be eliminated by wise parking choices. Pass-thru parking is best, uphill nose first is good, flat is also good. What you don't want is downhill nose-in into a boxed-in spot. If that type of spot is your only option, then back into the space.

A heavy rig, of course, is a consideration too.

What Old School said plus the fact it's easier to push a rig backward on the few times it might be necessary than a solo bike. No fear of dropping the bike. My first rig was a Ural and had the reverse. I've had the Liberty on my FLH for a good number of years now (15) and although I worried about no reverse when I first sold the Ural and got the Liberty, it's not an issue. I haven't run into a situation yet where it was needed. Even when towing my little trailer.

Attached files

Thanks for the input. Nice rig!

Page 1 of 2Next