USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Questions about pants

I bought a pair of Frank Thomas pants and they're OK when it's very cold but I'm looking for a pair of pants that offer comfort and protection when the temps rise a bit. Are there any good options in between my FT's and jeans? Do hack riders have different needs in their type of pants than 2 wheel riders? Do they require more abrasion resistance since they're more likely to slide than a hack rider if their bike goes down?
Howard
Napa, CA
'74 Guzzi/Velo 560

Hello Gilbert,
the best winter pants I have ever had I got in a second hand army/survival supply shop (best invested 50 Marks ever). Swedish army pants from 1942. Outside sail cotton inside sheep skin running up to the breast. I tested them in Norway December 1986.... met just one other MZ rig on the hole trip.

When I left Germany everybody started to swear on Thermo Boy.
Nowerdays I would start to look for Goretex winter clothes.
Personally I'd always go with the 2 parters. never again an Overall... Or might that come from my allergic to my national service army time...
No, simply when in a hurry to the loo, a 2 parter is much easier to get out off then an overall. And the Bellstaff jacket worked al year round, while I just had to change the different types of trousers.

Sven

I forgot:
Important for winter riding: Anatomic moto cross knee protectors! from the knee down to the ankle. As Boots thick foam stuffing with active coal felt slippers!
Or do you get now boots with electric heating too?
Sven

Originally written by gilberth on 12/29/2008 10:43 AM

I bought a pair of Frank Thomas pants and they're OK when it's very cold but I'm looking for a pair of pants that offer comfort and protection when the temps rise a bit. Are there any good options in between my FT's and jeans? Do hack riders have different needs in their type of pants than 2 wheel riders? Do they require more abrasion resistance since they're more likely to slide than a hack rider if their bike goes down?
Howard
Napa, CA
'74 Guzzi/Velo 560

I typically wear jeans in warm weather or lighweight cargo or military pants under some belstaff pants.

As far as your question goes speakimg of solo riders:
>>Do they require more abrasion resistance since they're more likely to slide than a hack rider if their bike goes down?<<

The pavement is the pavement once you hit it.

You have to be the one to weigh the odds and dress according to what makes you feel best.

I am not big on AGTATT even with a solo bike but those who are will have better odds of walking away in better shape if they do go down.

The chances of going down on a hack may be less but what happens if you do will be the same.

The product called 'Draggin Jeans' is popular with some riders. They look like jeans but are built better and have kevlar inside them for abrasion resistance. These make sense. If you have ever gone down with regular jeans on you probably know they do little or nothing too save your hide.

Just for the case somebody got it wrong:
The anatomic knee protectors were most of all to keep the knees warm in cold whether.
Although I bought them first for the off road trips on 2 wheels.
On 3 wheels they helped me on my second day with my first rig... the day I whacked away a road side plock/post (the ones with a cats eye)...
We slipped down from a frozen field crown on the left side of the road.
So happened on Sunday 14.12.86 close to the border to East Germany (Ostzone)
Sven

Look around for some mesh gear.
I bought FirstGear mesh pants-n-jacket for summer time; use 'em on the rig and the solo... winter time (now) I've got a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants. Seems pretty comfy so far.

Not really ATGATT I guess, as I'll wear low-cut hiking boots and just the jacket sometimes, but like Claude said - you don't get to choose when you go down... mostly, if I don't wear the mesh pants, it's for a trip around the corner or something.

I have a couple pair of draggin' jeans. They don't block the wind any better than plain old jeans, with the exception of padded knees.
Normally, I'm not a huge fan of leather for winter riding. Most fabric is a lot warmer, but check out http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/bibs.htm
I have a pair of their bibs with the thinsulate lining and they keep me very warm. They have full length zippers down each leg and even have a zippered fly. If you're not a black leather kind of person, they'll make them in any color you want. Unlike Aerostitch and some of these others, they don't limit sizes either. If you need a 66" waist and 28" inseam, they'll make it for you.
When I bought these, I wanted a zip out lining that they offer, but Diana suggested that I try them without the lining first. She said it was really too warm for Wisconsin Winters. She was right, the sewn in is plenty warm by itself.

I should also say that, even though I bought the bibs off of a clearance table at a rally, Dan insisted on trimming the length and restitching them on the spot for a better fit. I also bought a leather hat from that same clearence/seconds table. The following summer I took a few friends up to the shop and Diana didn't like the way the hat looked so she insisted on ripping a stitch and resewing it for me. Customer service is wonderful.

I wear the Draggin Jeans down to about 45 degrees, but the Stone Lakes below that.

"Normally, I'm not a huge fan of leather for winter riding. Most fabric is a lot warmer, but..."

One reason I went to the fabric (textile) gear was it is more water repellant and dries faster than leather goods. I have a set of leather bibs and a very nice Langlitz jacket hanging in the closet now. For the cost of the jacket alone I could've bought both summer and winter textile sets. 8^(

YMMV!

What about leather chaps over jeans or street pants?
Anyone use them?
Howard

I slid down the highway once in leather chaps and dislocated my hip. The Doctor said that happens a lot with chaps and most injuries are much worse than mine were. His guess was that the top edge above and behind the knee gets caught on something on the road. He joked that chaps should be reserved for cowboys riding horses.
I had no reason to disbelieve him and haven't worn chaps since.