Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Putting the side car on

Finally got some time this weekend to join the sidecar to the bike. would like some opnions on the set up. Got this as close as I could with no concrete floor.

Attached files

It looks OK but watch out for that upper rear clamp. They are known to occasionally twist on the tube. It looks like you have the strut in line with the clamp and that's good.

I attach the rear strut in a different way. By having the strut in a straight line from end to end with the clevis bolts vertical you eliminate one of the two possible slippage points (the 90 degree angled strut clevis to the sidecar frame clamp eyebolt). The remaining slip point is the paint to paint clamp assembly to sidecar frame connection. This can be spot welded to eliminate the possibility of slippage.

Lonnie

Attached files

I tried to make it look like the photo copy of assembly instructions I had, but I like the idea of the clevis being inline. Haven't taken it on a paved road yet, waiting for neck bearings so I can replace the tree with 5 deg.

How much offset (aka wheel lead) are you running? It should be no more than 8"-10", but it's hard to tell from your photos.

Just a little over 9 inches, about 1/2 inch toe in. I am thinking of using Lonnie's idea for the strut and maybe push the track out a bit. My biggest dilema is trying to set this up for my wife which I out weigh by 140#

Load the bike and sidecar with the expected weight load and set the lean-out at 1 degree plus using a magnetic angle gauge on the front brake rotor.
That should be a good starting point for her. Minor lean-out tweaking may be needed later depending upon the roads travelled.
High crowned roads may need more lean-out for straight tracking.
Make sure and recheck toe-in after making lean-out adjustments.

Lonnie

cnntnsxty....how is the rear lower mount attached to the bike? I have an 01 883C Sporty with a Velorex on it and I dont have my lower back that far.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

This was done with one of our sub frames, The sub frame attaches to the bike at 7 points and gives you the upper front mount and both lower mounts. We use one of our frame clamps which is similar to but of much higher quality for the upper rear mount.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Is your John Deere a "60"?

This sub frame works well. I think it would work better with the adjustable frame connections I seen you use on other cars. I'm still playing with adjustments but the subframe made this much easier.

Yes! Still in use, not just an anchor for the bike.

I've got a 50 and an MC. Plus a couple that aren't JD's... But my bike gets ridden far more than any of the tractors get put to use these days...

At this link you will see how we modify Velorex sidecars when in our shop, usually we only get Velorex sidecars in to fix other peoples work. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30