Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

pulling trailer behind sidecar rig

Page 1 of 2Next

Anybody pull a trailer with their rigs? Just wondering if it is a too much to handle or if with a large cycle it would be ok. I've got a Aluma trailer with HD Ultra Classic. Still waiting for my sidecar,probably next month.

Many pull trailers. Best position is having the trailer hitch mounted from the inside sidecar frame rail. Pulls nicely and you don't have an overwide rig for back mountain roads like you will with a bike mounted hitch.

Lonnie

I agree best place is off inside sidecar frame. i have a Moto Guzzi Cal II with sidecar that I occasionaly tow my starlight behind. I use a bike mounted hitch because I already had it. It does make it wider but the trailer is no wider than the bars on the bike so it works.

Ok thanks, maybe i can add another hitch to the frame. Any body have pictures or hitch ideas? I don;t want to take the existing hitch off. Too much work.

At the last SKUNK Rally, a gent had a receiver hitch on his Goldwing. He simply made an insert with a 90 degree bend to the right about 10 inches long. I am having a local machine shop weld one up as I type. I should have it tomorrow. I'l post a photo when it arrives

It seems to me that the 10" offset would put some side stress on the rear bike wheel. The sidecar already puts that load on the rear wheel making them wear quickly. I don't know how little or much the tread life will be affected with the offset but there will be some affect.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 6/19/2012 4:57 PM It seems to me that the 10" offset would put some side stress on the rear bike wheel. The sidecar already puts that load on the rear wheel making them wear quickly. I don't know how little or much the tread life will be affected with the offset but there will be some affect. Lonnie

I can't imagine it being any different than the added stress of having the hitch and weight added to the sidecar mounts. Here is the finished project. We actually made it longer than originally planned for two reasons.

1. It now allows me to mount a Yakima two bicycle rack without bikes sticking out to the left.

2. If we find a flexingt issue, we now clear the saddlebag and can run a support up to the subframe if needed.

I just spent 20 minutes in the twisties with the big trailer and it feels great. I will keep an eye on the car tire however.

Attached files

Very nicely done! Thanks for the help.

Just saw your offset insert for the trailer. I like your idea. Recently purchased a trailer. My bike doesn't have a hitch yet. Can you recommend a bike fender hitch company? If the length of the offset is shorter, would it be less flexible, more stable, less tire wear? Thanks

casidecar - 6/26/2012 7:41 PM Just saw your offset insert for the trailer. I like your idea. Recently purchased a trailer. My bike doesn't have a hitch yet. Can you recommend a bike fender hitch company? If the length of the offset is shorter, would it be less flexible, more stable, less tire wear? Thanks

What kind of bike? This one has a HitchDoc, but they no longer offer one for the 1500. One of my prerequisites is to get the trailer's left tire to follow in the same track as the motorcycle tires. My last three rigs all had an offset hitch of one means or another to that end. I've not found tire wear to be a problem, but I run a car tire. My experience may not be the same as someone running a bike tire.

Yamaha 1100 V-Star. When I contacted HitchDoc they offered one that already had the 1 7/8" ball. Somehow I didn't think it came as a receiver. Did yours come with a receiver or was that another modification? Good idea to align the trailer wheel with the m/c tire, less drag or wind resistance. Then I would need an offset of 15". What was your offset? You said yours exceeded 10". If I'm asking dumb questions, it's because this is all new territory for me.

casidecar - 6/26/2012 10:01 PM Yamaha 1100 V-Star. When I contacted HitchDoc they offered one that already had the 1 7/8" ball. Somehow I didn't think it came as a receiver. Did yours come with a receiver or was that another modification? Good idea to align the trailer wheel with the m/c tire, less drag or wind resistance. Then I would need an offset of 15". What was your offset? You said yours exceeded 10". If I'm asking dumb questions, it's because this is all new territory for me.

I bought the bike used. When I mounted a replacement tire, I saw a sticker saying "HitchDoc, Jackson, MN" on it. They list a V-Star receiver on their website. P/N 15670

Mine is offset 13 1/2 inches center to center.

Sidecar Mike, is the offset the degree or angle that the hitch is from the bike and how do you determine that since it would be different for every bike?

bwehner - 6/27/2012 9:22 AM Sidecar Mike, is the offset the degree or angle that the hitch is from the bike and how do you determine that since it would be different for every bike?

All we did was create a replacement for the hitch that moves the coupler 13 1/2 inches to the right. I chose that distance, as I wrote above, to get clearance for the bicycle rack and to clear the edge of the saddlebag so I could run a support forward to the subframe if I needed bracing.

There was no science involved. You will just have to do what works for you.

The advantage to a receiver is that I can still pull the trailer with a conventional coupler if I remove the sidecar, and I am not going to tear up my shins when I don't need the trailer.

Thanks. I'll definitely contact HitchDoc again. The receiver with the angle insert sounds like the way to go for me. Perhaps I'll go less than the 15" offset to keep it from flexing/stressing or requiring additional hardware support.

That offset hitch looks interesting, I'd like to see how it holds up in the long run. How heavy is the trailer you pull with it?
I pull an Aspen camper with my Roadglide+Hannigan hack, and it would be nice to make the whole unit a little narrower.

I run a champion legend with the hitch of the inside rail of the frame. Pulls nicely. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1930918479655&l=6e7398090b http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1930908919416&l=7784bea70b

deadhawg - 6/27/2012 7:11 PM That offset hitch looks interesting, I'd like to see how it holds up in the long run. How heavy is the trailer you pull with it? I pull an Aspen camper with my Roadglide+Hannigan hack, and it would be nice to make the whole unit a little narrower.

I pull a loaded Bunkhouse behind a Gl1500/ California Friendship 3. Usually solo but sometimes with a passenger. So far, I've only pulled it a couple test rides, one about 20 miles and the second around 50. No problems thus far. It handles well, I don't have any weird pulling or control issues. Even practised a few hard stoppies from 60 mph.

Thanks, I think I will contact my local welder and see what we can fab up.

deadhawg - 6/28/2012 12:37 PM Thanks, I think I will contact my local welder and see what we can fab up.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos, but the piece that slips into the bike is a solid bar and the cross piece is heavy walled tubing.

Page 1 of 2Next