Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

PULLING A TRAILER WITH A SIDECAR RIG

Has anyone pulled a trailer with a sidecar rig i do a lot of touring and always pulled a trailer but have not tried since i have put the sidecar on the bike i am looking for input on this issue thank you

I tow a small cargo trailer with my rig. Initially I'd planned on moving the hitch to the center but didn't see an obvious way to accomplish that so left the hitch on the bike where it had always been. My cargo trailer isn't very wide and tows absolutely fine. We do leave an odd set of tracks on our dirt road however...

Attached files

I have pulled my tent trailer over 200,000 miles with sidecar rigs. I of set the hitch slightly to the right so that the left side of the trailer is even with the left side of the bike so that we are no wider then need be for going down the road. The more you off set the trailer to the right the more it pulls and pushes the sidecar fore and aft on when changing speed.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Much more stable than solo bike with trailer. I sometimes drive such rig. Driving 5-wheel vehicle requires tons of patience. And if you don't have brake in sidecar wheel or/and trailer wheels, braking distance increases significantly.

Very kool how did you off set the hitch thank you

I built it that way.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I used to pull a trailer with my last rig, and I still plan to do so with my new rig. I built a hitch off sidecar frame on last one, but haven't looked at this one yet to set it up. Would be too wide a track to continue pulling from bike.

Well just went about 600 mi to the harley rendezvous and handled like a dream didn't even feel the trailer and it tracks right behind the bike no excess sticking out on left side well thank you for the info

WOODNY - 6/18/2013 3:25 PM Very kool how did you off set the hitch thank you

What kind of hitch do you have? I have a receiver on the Goldwing. A local shop made me an offset coupler that slides into the receiver but has the ball offset 12 inches to the right. Nice thing about it is if I drop the sidecar, I can still pull the camper in it's original position.

I have a hitch doc receiver and i don't have to off set it

I have an offset hitch and a heavy trailer I would like brakes on the trailer it pushes if you out drive the combo (rain bad)