Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Pros and Cons

I am 1 day new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a 96 Honda 1100 Ace and would like to attach a sidecar. This has been a dream for several years and have decided to finally do it. After looking at several manufacturers, I like the style of the Motorvation Spyder. So far this has been a cosmetic choice. I am a very capable mechanic and would like to do the install and set up. How durable is the Spyder? Does this seem like a workable combination and what other things should I consider? Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Thanks

I have no experience with the spyder but my 95 1100 ACE is a great tug. I have had a California Companion GT attached since 95 and love the rig. I am sure the folks at Motorvation can supply the mounting hardware. Good luck and hope you are hacking soon.

We have bolt on mounting kits specific to the shadow ACE. These are not a "Universal" or even a semi universal using frame clamps but specific to the ACE.
We can mount any number of different sidecars to this bike.
The Ural would look good on the bike as would the Champion Legend. Both we keep in stock.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com
253-638-1793

The Motorvation Spyder is a good looking, very well built unit and the company tech. support is great. If you have a problem they are right on it. There are several fender and wheel choices and a couple of windshield choices. I ran a Spyder for a few years on my turbocharged RoadKing and it handled great, even at speeds in excess of 100mph.
I have installed them on as small as a Kaw 800 Drifter. The only complaint I have gotten is that people with low upper body strength may need a little help getting out of them. (Like a lot of other compact cars).
If you are a self installer, be prepared to do a little minor assembly, namely the suspension, and to plot and drill the strut mounting holes in the body (no large task).
Depending on the set-up, you may or may not need a steering damper installed. Some need it, some don't. I'd wait and see because the dampers tend to make steering sluggish at slow speed and lessen steering "feedback".

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. Its nice to here postitve comments about the Ace/Spyder.This is going to remove some of the worry about my decisions. Thanks again for all the help...I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.