Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

PREFERRED PARKING

I've noticed preferred parking for "HIGH MILEAGE" or "GREEN VEHICLES", in parking lots usually closer to the store. Shouldn't motorcycles, especially those with sidecars be considered high mileage, green vehicles? I know if I observe the speed limits my bike will get better mileage than a Prius. I just think bikes should get preferred / sheltered parking if they're going to reward conservation efforts of drivers (riders). Anyone observe this sort of treatment for motorcyclists?

We do not have that here. Well I have not seen any. But if we did I would have to set a side fine money and park in one. I am not saying anyone should that just me. lol

Back during the gas crunch of the 70's ( oil embargo ) the EPA ruled that Motorcycles were not considered fuel efficient vehicles since they had no carrying capacity. Big uproar then but they did not change their views.

I suppose it depends on who is watching. On one hand, in CT motorcycles are allowed in the HOV (carpool) lane on the highways. On the other hand, at the government facility I work at, I regularly see a Ford Raptor occupying 1.5 of the fuel efficient vehicle spots. I'd park in one, but they're farther from my door than the unmarked spots.

Also, I just found this:
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/go-ahead-and-park-in-those-fuel-efficient-vehicle-space-1350568794

Here in Costa Rica in many supermarkets you find the invalids's parking lots closest to the door. right beside come the motorcycle spots.
But you find many perfectly sane people parking their huge cars on both reserved spots, often even blocking the access while talking with somebody.
Where is the attitude?

2 banks did open a few years ago even subsidiaries ONLY for motorcycle messengers!
With secure parking plus helmet and rain gear locker!
The initiative did not spread further, but each time I pass by I applaud silently.
Sven