Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Polishing wheels

Have '95 Wing rig. Sidecar wheel looks fine but front wheel on Wing looks bad [aluminum corrosion/dark] from the weather. Was seeking information on how others have handled polishing their wheels. One route I had been pondering was:
Removal of wheel, masking center hub/bearings well and glass bead blasting entire rim to a patina and then coating same with something like Krylon [or Honda] clearcoat or a polymer auto finish. OR
If I jack at rear of my L.L. fork, I could polish all with aluminum polish [ever hear of WADPOL? Used it in USAF in Germany, on our aircraft. It is made in England and BOY, does it shine aluminum!] using motor tool. With cycle wheel free to turn, it would be a somewhat easier job.
Just trying to avoid doing the whole thing by hand-power. Your suggestions greatly appreciated from BT-DT folks. TTFN....Tom in NH

You may want to take the wheel to a powercoater if ther eis one in your area and see what he says. Some wheels have been powder coated aluminum and look great. Going price varies or course.
Just a thought.

First is there any small pitting on it look real close. Second do you want polished look or cast look? If you blast it use walnutshell or poly abrasives first if they clean it up go no further w/blasting then clear coat w/wheel clear coating. This gives a nice smooth cast finiish. Polishing yourself is a little more work usally try polish from tube wenall's blue tube,hapitch(spelling may be wrong) or the stuff you mentioned. If it dont clean up remove and use buffing wheels a long prosess at least for me been there done that and still do somtime on variuos parts. I have sanded w/380, 400, 600, then went thru the compound and buffing wheel spectrum. Spectacular look very time consuming. Anyway back to basics use the mildest abrasive to remove the blemish's and go to milder and milder till you get the look you want. I have used walnut shell abrasive to clean commutaters and slip rings on starters and alts. sorry to be so long but most people start out with way to course of abrasive and make triple the work for themselves! ask me how I know ha ha.