Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Pilot in sidecar... and nobody else!

Hello everyone,

I thought this would be the right place to ask my question:
Last week, I saw a sidecar where the pilot was in the sidecar and nobody was on the bike...! I'm sure to have seen that but I can't find anybody who wants to believe this story!
Could anyone confirm it exists, or better send me a picture or a link to such a sidecar???
Regards and thank you for your help in advance!!!

You're not seeing things... well maybe you are, but in Daytona I usually see at least one "riderless" sidecar rig where the "driver" actually sits in ths sidecar and no rider is on the bike. I've seen where a wheelchair bound rider wheels his chair into a sidecar body and drives the rig from that vantage point, as well as "just for yuks" sidecar that had the throttle, steering, and brakes all operated by the passenger in the hack.
Regds,
Jim

This is fairly common for people in wheel chairs.
Jay

We have one here in Colo Springs. Tom has a Tomco setup and uses a Valk for a Tug. Tomco made quite a few of them that are setup for the Wheelchair Pilot but have gone out of business. A while back one of the Hack members on the boards was trying to buy what's left of Tomco but that deal fell through, too bad.

Anyway you can also see a few of them setup as non-driver rigs too. In fact there was one down at the shop today on a Triumph for a wheelchair bound lady who loves to get out in the open air with her husband.

The only big negative about the Tomco's is their MASS and rather crude construction but they seem to work OK once you get past that. The Wheelchair Ramp was their key selling points for lots of folks and the option for Sidecar Controls helped folks like Tom Deniston get on the road with some independance.

Did see at the stealers a lady driving a rig where the sidecar had a ramp for her son who was in a wheelchair and an obviously degenerative handicap. I thought it was neat that the two of them could enjoy some fresh air and feel of the road together.

MechE