Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Picture download

I have found that the download of pictures and attachments from the site is very slow lately. Has ther been problems with the server?

Might I suggest that photos be hosted offsite with URL/IMG links to make them appear inline in posts. Like this.

It's a much more efficient way of posting and better utilizes the forum's server space.

Any thoughts?

The photos you see in posts are all hosted elsewhere. Unless things have changed, the only place you can upload photos is the Albums or the For Sale sections. If you right click a photo and chose Properties, you will see where it really resides.
For example:
Look at mama smile

Is at

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/SidecarMike/DSCF0124.jpg

I've not noticed the site running slow.

I have not found the site is slow. Only that the download of attached (not linked) photos is. While I like have access to the files within a message by using attachments, I think it is much easier to read a post if it actually has the linked picture imbedded within the text, rather than just an attachment. This linked route is the way that it is done on most of the other forums that I visit. In those other places, we have found that folks don't link the photos simply because they don't know how. The problem is probably exacerbated here because WE sidecarists are a bunch of geezers when it comes to our computers.

Here's a picture of a project that I am working on with Claude - linked and imbedded.

1984 Yamaha XT600Z Tenere with 1984 MZ Seitenwagen

Here it is with just the picture attached. I think the first post is much more readable. Just my two cents.

Attached files

Server space will never be a problem. With all the photos and forum messages we are currently using 9MB of our alloted 100,000MB. Post pictures any way you can and enjoy!

Embedding works even better when there are a couple of things to look at. Here's my current sidecar collection.

1978 Yamaha SR500 with 1974 Jawa Velorex 560

1980 Yamaha SR500 with 1970 Bingham MKI

1984 Yamaha XT600Z with 1984 MZ Seitenwagen

And a 1974 Jawa Velorex 560 waiting for a mate.

Hopefully I'll be adding a 1974 Jawa 362 California with 1974 Jawa 560 tomorrow.

It that a flat tread profile front tire you show on your bikes? If so, do you know where to get 16" versions? I have a 2005 Kawa Vulcan 1600 Classic and a 2005 Champion Legend that I would like to change over to flat profile tires. I found a car tire that will fit the bikes rear wheel but can't find anything small ehough for the sc or bike front tire. Bob

Both are flat-profile 19-inch tires. The 78 has an AVON SM MARK II SAFETY MILEAGE. The 1980 has a AVON SIDECAR TRIPLE DUTY MARK II. The AVON SM MARK II SAFETY MILEAGE comes in 5.00S-16 REAR but that is probably too wide for what you need. The best solution is probably to switch to an 18-inch wheel.

Epic, the ol' girl looks good,..a lot different then with the '95'562 he had on it before,...nice job, cheers, crawf.

@SidecarMike,

I`ts really great to see how do you manage the direct-transfer of photos stored at photobucket into your posting here in the forum.

May I`m a dummy ?? Did severeal trials - no success so fare and believe it or not - I did follow defenetely the instruction given by joys.

What do I wrong ?? Can you help and explain ? The only one I can is this :

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/STUETZRAD/Sidehack-Sigi1.jpg

Thanks

SidehackSigi

Originally written by NightRider on 5/13/2009 8:45 AM

@SidecarMike,

I`ts really great to see how do you manage the direct-transfer of photos stored at photobucket into your posting here in the forum.

May I`m a dummy ?? Did severeal trials - no success so fare and believe it or not - I did follow defenetely the instruction given by joys.

Thanks

SidehackSigi

Photobucket
Use the HTML code from photobucket
thats how i posted this

Originally written by NightRider on 5/13/2009 8:45 AM

@SidecarMike,

Thanks

SidehackSigi

As JAbud said, instead of choosing to copy the line that says Direct Link or IMG Code, choose the one that says HTML Code.

Justin age 12 giving the dog a ride

And since the question will probably come up, Barb didn't like cleaning dog hair out of the sidecar so Justin taught him to ride on the passenger seat. And yes, the bike is under way. Justin learned to ride at age 6 and by the time he was eleven or twelve, he was giving his cousins rides around the property.

Since I am not as computer literate as I probably should be, some of the information posted in this thread turns out to be Greek to me. Is there a place where the more technically challenged could follow a step by step set of intructions, in order to get us from the beginning to a successful completion? As an additional question, if the offsite websites go out of business, they are bought out, merge or just cease to exist do the photos on those sites also disappear along with the links?

It's difficult to give instructions like this without sounding condescending since I don't know your level of expertise. I tried to write them out step by step, but it became about three pages long. When finished, it seemed more complicated than the stuff in messages above. I remember once getting a letter from my brother, whom I hadn't seen in years, asking me how to create a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel. I sent him a detailed explanation. A few days later he wrote back one sentence,"What's a mouse?"
Since I don't know everyones level, I'll direct you to a tutorial and let you ask specific questions after you have tried it.

Yes, if they go out of business, the pictures will go with them. Even the pictures you save on this site disappear at times. All of mine are gone from the Albums. Some people choose to use services that charge a monthly fee, but many of those go out of business as fast or faster than some of the free sites.

Photobucket is about the easiest place to use and has a great tutorial here;
http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_150.html Try going through it and see if you can post a photo. If not, I'll try to answer your questions.

As far as them disappearing from Photobucket, that can happen, but many of my photos have been there since I bought the Valkyrie in 2003. I'm guessing they will be around for a while.

Fall 2009

I`ve got it. My Goodness, it works - what a feeling. Thank`s for helping me to become an expert........

SidehackSigi

SidecarMike, the tutorial is the best place for me (or any other challenged people)to start. I'm sure that after successfully getting past my complete set of mental blocks it will quickly become second nature. Of course, then it will be a question of how could I have been unable to accomplish it? If all else fails, it's time to call the grandkids or the fourth grader up the street... but that's only if all else fails. Thanks for the help.