Clear all

Picking a Trailer?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Goldwing with a California S/C 2+2 and would like a trailer to haul it on.

I currently have an Aluma MC-10 for my 2 Wheel bikes. That was easy to buy used. No measurements needed.

Help me out, what should I keep in mind when looking for a trailer?

Posted : November 4, 2020 4:05 am
(@Anonymous)

Not critical with an open trailer but if you go with an enclosed, it should be wide enough that you can move around to tie down. I got one that the rig would barely fit in the door, then dismounting and tying down was a challenge. My thought then was I could see out the truck mirrors better. Not worth it. My son wanted that trailer so we made a deal and I got a wider one. much better.

Posted : November 4, 2020 4:25 am
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

Yeah, I'm thinking have to be an open trailer. This rig is 82 inches wide.

Posted : November 4, 2020 4:45 am
(@al-olme2)

Where did you measure the rig?  IF you get an open trailer with low rails at the side, the important measurement is from the outside of the bike tire to the outside of the hack tire.  I have an Aluma trailer and it's the third one I've had.  The trades were size considerations, not any complaint with the trailers.  I would recommend Aluma to anyone.  Also, if you don't see exactly what you want, call the factory and see what they can do for you. They may refer you to a dealer but ask them for a "good dealer" who is knowledgeable. I went through a couple of dealers before I found one who understood Aluma and their flexibility.  My trailer doesn't appear in any of the literature but when I asked for my particular configuration, the answer was "Sure, no problem".

Posted : November 4, 2020 5:27 am
(@jaydmc)

We use a tilt deck trailer, really like it as we do not have to mess with ramps. Down side if you are putting more then one bike on it they have to go on together or a ramp used. Our Enclosed trailer is a car trailer, never had a problem getting any sidecar bike in it.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : November 4, 2020 6:30 am
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

I measured the rig from the two points that would rub on an enclosed trailer. The sidecar wheel well edge to the tip over bar on the bike is 82 in.

The wheel to wheel outside measurement is 68 in..

Posted : November 4, 2020 7:19 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi all:

Having seen Al's trailer I went looking for one like it.  My local Aluma dealer gave me a blank stare when I asked for one that wide.  I went looking elsewhere and found a Mission wide motorcycle trailer.  It was cold weather out, so I taped a bunch of cardboard together - traced around my rig and went to look at it.  I found that my template fit the trailer and bought it.  It has a rock shield in the front and two wheel chocks to haul two bikes.  It has a 4' wide ramp that didn't work so I went to Menards, Our local home Depot equivalent and bought a pair of Aluminum ramps.  I had a local welder turn the wide ramp carrier under the deck into two narrow carriers.  I also had him weld a mount on the front of the rock shield for a 12volt winch and bought the 2500# version from Harbor Freight for loading.  I carry a garden tractor battery to power it and a battery charger to charge the battery.  

I looked at the Mission trailer website and couldn't find my version of the trailer.  It may be that they make them to order.  

Will Short

Ex-President USCA

Posted : November 4, 2020 9:34 am
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

There is a dealer near me according to Mission's web site. I'll stop there on Saturday. 

Posted : November 4, 2020 11:41 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Tom, in looking for a well built extra wide aluminum trailer, look at Bear Track trailers, made in Minnie-soda. They offer both ramp and tilt styles. I found a 82x120 model at a golf cart dealer in Florida, though most of their dealers are in the upper midwest.

I believe the BT's are a bit wider than Aluma's. More important, the wheel fenders are bolted on. So easy to remove or add spacers to gain another inch or two of clearance.  

On my super wide sidecamper rig, I have to unbolt one fender so the engine guard will clear it. Once the rig is forward and secured, then bolt the fender back on. Luckily I don't need to trailer that rig often.

The reviews I found on BT were positive and encouraging.

Good luck with your search. With the pandemic, I found inventories low and manufacturing on slow mode.

Jan

Posted : November 5, 2020 4:20 am
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

Oh well. Mission dealer closed on Sat...

Posted : November 7, 2020 10:52 am