Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Parking brake

Thought I would share this. I wanted to run bike (to warm up or tweek something) without having to block the wheels on a slight grade. So I just tried a velcro cable tie, the type that goes around the cable and back through itself to stay on one end of the cable. I installed it on the brake handle like you would on a cable, then you pull the brake handle wrap the velcro strap around the throttle and back on itself and voila, parking brake! The bonus is you can also turn the throttle a little to create a fast idle if needed.  When not in use you just continually wrap it around itself until it's completely out of the way which makes it totally safe and will not interfere with either the brake or the throttle.

In the past I've used a Velcro watch band around the front brake lever.  Worked well until I miss placed the watch band. 

Thick rubber band like for conserves made it for me in remote times. Remote times when we used to make our own conserves, liver and blood sausages at home....as said, quite some days ago. I guess about when Velcro was in the process of invention.

The velco band sounds like a good tip.  I'll have to see if I can find one.

Home depot has a few options.

Quote from Gandolf on September 22, 2020, 1:51 pm

Home depot has a few options.

Or any Wal Mart at the jewelry counter where they have the watchbands.

I take old bicycle and motorcycle inner tubes and cut them into 1/4 - 1/2 width rubber bands. The rubber used in inner tubes are of a better quality than the crap they use today to make rubber bands.

Bruce 

Hi Bruce!  Happy to see you're still here.

A

Harleys from the 60's, (Servicars) had hand parking brakes. Since many parts fit across several models, I was able to bolt this directly on to my 69 FLH rig.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

The Servicars used them up till 71.

Very cool setup! 

The 2018 Ural cT comes factory-equipped with a hydraulic rear brake caliper, which also has a mechanical entry for the parking brake function.

It is activated via a dedicated lever at the left side of the handlebar.

Looks like the way to go. Suppose you also have 2wd and reverse? With my tug being manufactured only 29 years earlier guess I'll have to make do with the velcro....

Keeping my eye on the lottery!

Quote from Gandolf on October 7, 2020, 6:35 am

Suppose you also have 2wd and reverse? 

No and yes.

Good luck with the lottery!

In the USA if a company sells a motorcycle with a sidecar attached they must have a parking brake. Harley got around this by never selling a motorcycle with a sidecar. They sold a motorcycle, and a sidecar color matched but the dealer had to invoice them as separative items and install the sidecar. They would have also had to do EPA testing as a three wheeled motorcycle. We offer a mechanical parking brake but only as in Western Australia it is mandated. We do so in such a manor as it is not all the pretty to have a parking brake handle that once the sidecar passes inspection it can be removed.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Ill have a look

I replaced the handle bar parking brake on both of our Ural Gear Ups with bullet brakes.  I found the OE Ural parking brake required constant adjusting and was unreliable.  It also took-up a great deal of space on the handle bars and interfered with the installation of Hippo Hands.  The Bullet Brake is a hydraulic brake that uses the front brakes to immobilize the rig.  Our rigs will absolutely not move an inch with the brake engaged.  Manufacturers who install parking brakes cannot use hydraulics for the parking brake due to the possibility of leak down.  I tested mine by leaving it engaged for 2 weeks while we were on a trip.  When I subsequently tested the brake it still completely immobilized the bike.  The brake is engaged by pulling the front brake and simultaneously pushing a button; to disengage you pull the front brake lever.

https://www.bulletbrake.com

Kevin - Team Pterodactyl's Montana Outpost Silver City, Montana

I use my diy electric reverse drive which engages  the car wheel to act as a parking brake. I have a piezzo skwawker to warn me that the reverse is engaged when the ign is on to prevent me driving off with reverse engaged,  so that is a nuisance but it works 100%   By the way my reverse only cost about $120.00 and some fab. time   Chuck

Neville

how about more info on your reverse.

Sure its very simple. I use a dump truck tarpmotor which produces  1 1/2 hp shaft via a worm drive. I made a 3" dia spur wheel to go on the output shaft. The whole contraption is on a slider with an overcenter cam actuator that is right upfront between the car and bike to the right of the footbrake. I have a led backup light and a skwawker using a stoplight switch so when its engaged the light is on and the sucker is loud and clear. I power the motor via a 30A heater with a relay that is hooked to the heater which is to the battery. The relay circuit is energised with a small push button switch fed from the ign circuit and I believe the thing only pulls about 10 or a few more amps when it is running. It moves at about 1 ft per sec which is slow but beats the hell out of pushing etc  Chuck