Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Painting a Sidecar

I'm in the process of taking my Velorex 562 apart so that it can be painted. I was going to take sidecar to a few places to get quotes. I'm beginning to wonder if I should consider painting it myself. My questions are these: has anyone out there painted their own rig? Are there any resources(books, websites, etc.) that could guide me through this process? Can the lower(?plastic) portion of the velorex 562 be painted? I do think that I could accomplish this if I had some detailed help/guidance. My bike is two-tone and I definately want the rig to color match(as close a spossible). Any advice would sure be appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

DaveNBPT - 5/2/2010 12:27 PM

I'm in the process of taking my Velorex 562 apart so that it can be painted. I was going to take sidecar to a few places to get quotes. I'm beginning to wonder if I should consider painting it myself. My questions are these: has anyone out there painted their own rig? Are there any resources(books, websites, etc.) that could guide me through this process? Can the lower(?plastic) portion of the velorex 562 be painted? I do think that I could accomplish this if I had some detailed help/guidance. My bike is two-tone and I definately want the rig to color match(as close a spossible). Any advice would sure be appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

I've painted two Harley sidecars and three motorcycles in the past 20 years. They were not two tone, just one color. They came out OK but I'm not doing it again. Partly because my quality wasn't 100% since I don't have a spray booth but the really bad part was buying the materials.

In California we can no longer (easily) get nitrocellulose lacquer or primer. We also can't buy acrylic lacquer anymore. That leaves the prospective painter to purchase multi-part paints and use clear coat. This means that for your paint job you will first need primer, hardener and reducer. Then for your two tone paint, you will need the base coat for each color. Some of the two part paints need hardener and some don't. Then there is the clear coat which requires clear gloss base, hardener and reducer.

Each can of different stuff is close to $30 so by the time you are through, you are into just the materials to the tune of maybe $300. At that rate, it's probably time to consider paying more and having someone else do the job and pay more.

I have also heard that the EPA is now going to require painters to use water-based paints. I haven't the slightest idea what those might cost and, frankly, I don't want to know. With the EPA and all of the hazardous materials fees, there is no money to be saved doing your own painting anymore.

And that's just the money part. The amount of labor to do a perfect job on a sidecar tub and fender is very extensive. That and the fact that I wouldn't even attempt another one without the use of a spray booth.

I think you would be better off doing what you planned - take the sidecar around to some shops and show them what you want and get your best price.

JMO.

Painting can be extremely Hazardous to your health as well. Some of the hardeners create compounds called isocyanates. These can permanently affect your nervous system in a very bad way if not handled or sprayed with the proper safety equipment. Get some good quotes and have it done by a pro.It always turns out better even if the budget is the main concern

What I would do is ask around and see if you can find a painter that likes to moon light, start with auto parts stores and see if they can recommend someone, talk to the painters at different body shops, they have the guns and knowledge to do it right, there's a guy around here that's making a name for him self by doing crotch rockets for $150 to $250 so ask the squids,,ya never know who might have the info your looking for. Be prepared for sticker shock on the cost of paint, you can go to http://www.colorrite.com/ for a correct color match IF the local paint shop doesn't have the codes.

rmoriss2 - 5/2/2010 7:15 PM

Painting can be extremely Hazardous to your health as well. Some of the hardeners create compounds called isocyanates. These can permanently affect your nervous system in a very bad way if not handled or sprayed with the proper safety equipment. Get some good quotes and have it done by a pro.It always turns out better even if the budget is the main concern

That's another good reason to have the job done by a professional. Those chemicals are just nasty. By getting rid of the supposedly bad nitrocellulose, the EPA actually made things worse for the users.

I called around to see about having my Harley TLE painted the same color as my bike Luxury Rich Red. A quart of paint is $160. I found a a guy if I take it apart and take him the tub and fender that will paint it for $600 and if I want him to stripe it would be another $200. By the time I buy the paint, the other supplies and a good spray gun I do not think I could do it a whole lot cheaper then I do not have a paint booth or the skills he has.

Thanks All!
I'm glad I asked. After reading all of the responses I have no doubt that bringing the sidecar to a shop is the best way to go. Is it okay/recommended to paint the lower half of the sidecar? It seems to be a plastic material. I would like to have this portion painted, because I am going with a two-tone and to throw in an extra color(black) might not ollk so hot. Just curious.
Dave

I wish I could afford to have mine painted the color of my bike but at least black goes with red. Maybe down the road.

Most repaint the upper body above the waist moulding and the fender on the 562, 563 and 700 Velos.
The similated leather matte finish of the bottom body hides rock chips and scars much better than a painted surface.
This also takes much less work than an all around repaint.
Removing the appurtenances and taking just the body and fender to your painter also will save a couple of hours of premium paint shop labor.

Lonnie

Lonnie is correct. I do know a little about painting because I do Airbrush work. I get pros to do the clear because its the nastiest. I still use solvent based paint but they're not good for you. ( base coat clear coat stuff). Always Use your respirator ( and proper gloves ) no mater what you spray!