Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Out of balance

Is it common for the motorcycle and sidecar to come out of alignment after a short time of riding? I've rechecked the fittings on a * of occasions and they all seem tight enough. On a few occasions, at the end of a ride, the bike was leaning in towards the sidecar and the sidecar was leaning in to the bike. It seems to me that once the correct lean-out and toe in is set, it should stay that way for a while. Is there anything wrong here?
Thank you.
Dave

2 things come in my mind:
Pipe clamps turn on the frame!!!
Gap in the joints.

Both are a sign for poor workmanship in the original marriage between bike and sidecar.
But if you ride hard some movement is normal. In fact a completely tight and stiff frame will never survive, but tear appart.

Best is to have somebody competent have a closser look at the set up.
On my tiny Jawa Velorex rig I give it every 4000km to have checked the allignment, because in the lokal mountains it is pretty hardly beaten.
just my 2 cent. take it for what its worth.
Sven

Dave,
Certain things may come into play here such as paint to paint connections which will compress and cause slippage. Bad angled struts not allowing a straight push pull resistance, not enough torque applied to fasteners, repinning castle nuts that have been tightened before in the same slot (nylock nuts or lock washers should be used at the next torquing if castle nuts are present).
Some angled connections may have to be spot welded to eliminate slippage.

Lonnie

Thank you. I appreciate the responses. I'm going to have it checked out this weekend.
Dave