Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Origin of the name "Hack"...?

For a sidecar...

I posted a photo of the Guzzi EV Hack in the snow on fb and I was asked, by a fellow from the UK why the name "Hack" for a sidecar. He went on to say that he had heard or seen the name Rig, Chair, Outfit Etc in reference to a sidecar but was confused as to where the name Hack came from and why.

Well I did a little interweb searching to offer him a concrete reason for the mor but alas, I cannot come up with one. The closest I could find was that Wikpedia listed the aforementioned names along with the label Hack but again, no real reason for the name of it's origin.

Anyone...?

Thanks,

Rob

I heard it was as in the early days sidecars were often used as taxi's
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

My source said "It originated in London back when sidecar rigs were used as taxi cabs.

A "HACK" could be either a hack driver, or the outfit itself.

Lonnie
NWSC, ret'd.

A shortened form of "Hackney Cab".

Right, the Hack mor, as I have been reading came from the Town or County of Hackney where more plain, common, utility work horses were raised, unlike the more noble steeds that were bred for Sporting, Military, Hunting or Upper Class Carriage use were called Hackneys and eventually shortened to Hack. They were a "commodity type" of livestock... and sold around for general purpose uses. So in the bigger cities... London for Example.. the Hackneys>Hacks... became popular for use as Commercial Cart Horses. Vegetable Carts, Light Industrial use etc... and as Carriage-for-Hire use. Basically the type of use we would call a Taxi Cab today. The term HACK for the Rig carried forward thru to modern times... and Taxis in lots of places around the world are nicknamed Hacks. So Horse drawn carriages pulled by Hackney Horses and Used as TAXIS... the whole rig became HACKS. Hacks evolved into Motorcars,, And when Motorcycle Sidecars began to appear.. The Same Term was applied to Sidecar Rigs. That's the short version... Isn't the Interweb a wonderful thing..? I will point the guy that asked to the sidecar.com experience... 🙂 Thanks all. Best, Rob

Specially when you can remember well what you once read:
We had the same theme once before:
http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1070&posts=23&highlight=origin%20hack&highlightmode=1#M59933
Cheers
Sven

Peter Pan - 12/13/2016 7:48 PM Specially when you can remember well what you once read: We had the same theme once before: http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1070&posts=23&highlight=origin%20hack&highlightmode=1#M59933 Cheers Sven

Really...? What "I" read...? Well I did perform a search here BEFORE posting that question but I did not find this thread... Now given that the subject was first posted in 2004, I personally do not recall the conversation...

Gee thanks.

So I let the guy know that was asking what our collective opinions were regarding the origin and he said that he was aware of the term from Hackney and he is going to continue to call the rig a rig... lol

Best,

Rob

Hey Guys:
If you have read the history of the USCA in the Nov/Dec issue of the Sidecarist you will have another answer. The folks who organized the USCA it. It comes from "We can hack it!" according to the history that Terry Strassenburg (USCA member number #3) has written for the Sidecarist. BUT - having said that - I am inclined to go with the UK definition.