Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Opinions needed

Opinions needed. Just a thought I had the other day while watching the Speed channel. They were painting the bed of a pickup with some bedliner paint, I can’t remember the make of the paint, but the idea hit me. Why not paint the entire hack in the bed liner paint which I do believe even had Kevlar mixed into the paint. As I see it, very little to no up keep, touch up would be a breeze. It would deaden the sound, add a little extra weight, and most everything would just bounce off. Not interested in any color other than black, and I have seen a few bikes painted with this similar product. Just wanted thoughts and ideas of what the rest of you all think, and I will even take the smart a%% remarks, as I have had a few already. 🙂

I just sold a Vetter which has had the lower body and trunk area Linex coated. A Troyka I sold earlier this year also had been coated inside and out.
Works great for sound deadening (and corrosion resistance for the steel bodies), protects from some rock and gravel damage, plus securing body and accessory mounting fasteners.

Lonnie

I know it will depend on the amount and type of paint I would be using, does anyone have any idea as to a ball park figure as to how much weight I would be adding?

We have a Ural sidecar we took in on trade in house right now that had been painted with bedliner. Got kind of a cool look to it. I think it is almost a total comitment as going back to bare metal would sure be a chore. It does add some weight of course but how much depends on how thick it is applied.

duplicolor makes a good bedliner paint in both spray cans or gallons --about $8 a can or $40 bucks a gallon. Can be brushed/rolled/sprayed on-easy to use- weight is minimal holds up very well.

To check the weight, stop by the auto parts store and lift the can of material, then guess how much you would use for your project. It is pretty durable stuff, I had a brand called "speedy liner" color matched on the Colorado PU we just traded off and it worked well for 6 years. Max

This is a great spot to get your opinions on another subject. I put a step plate just to the right of my right peg on the side car frame to give me the ability to shift my weight to the right.  This  step plate also gives me a wider stance which affords me more upper body leverage for steering to the right. Of course after the first test drive I realized I can’t get to the foot brake pedal as quickly while my foot is on this step plate but I think I can modify or get a wider brake foot pad to help with this.  
What do you think ? Good idea or bad idea?

Quote from Joe David on April 10, 2023, 8:09 am

This is a great spot to get your opinions on another subject. I put a step plate just to the right of my right peg on the side car frame to give me the ability to shift my weight to the right.  This  step plate also gives me a wider stance which affords me more upper body leverage for steering to the right. Of course after the first test drive I realized I can’t get to the foot brake pedal as quickly while my foot is on this step plate but I think I can modify or get a wider brake foot pad to help with this.  
What do you think ? Good idea or bad idea?

Joe

I saw in another thread you were asking about a step plate, a lot of us have highway board or pegs depending on likes and room. I was going to suggest you add a clamp on highway board to yours on the right side. as far as getting from it to the brake pedal, well that is something you have to get used to. Not sure making the brake pedal bigger is the answer but it might be helpful. 

USCA # 8913

Thanks I just needed to know if this was a no no or what.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
AceinSav and Reardan Tom have reacted to this post.
AceinSavReardan Tom

Seems to me bed liner is the total opposite of chrome. I don't think I'd care to have a tub that was totally either. A little in the right places, perhaps. "Right places" being a matter of one's own opinion. One size does not fit all, nor does one color scheme.

- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.