Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

On harley I notice rack tree, and on other brands I see lead links? Why no lead link on Harleys?

Hello,
I notice harley's run rack trees, and other brands run lead links. Why is that?

There is a company in England I believe it is, that make a complete leading link front system for Harley Davidsons.

Theres a guy in West Virginia that has been running them on his bike for many years and I am sure that there others out there

Two reasons for not many LLs on Harley Baggers:
Esthetics, they look cumbersome.
Cost, too pricey.

Modified trees look better work fine and no other modifications are needed so the bike maintains a stock appearance but with improved handling at a fraction of the cost of homely LLs .

Lonnie

Hack'n - 8/29/2012 6:58 AM

Two reasons for not many LLs on Harley Baggers:
Esthetics, they look cumbersome.
Cost, too pricey.

Modified trees look better work fine and no other modifications are needed so the bike maintains a stock appearance but with improved handling at a fraction of the cost of homely LLs .

Lonnie

What Lonnie says here is the case.

In no particular order: The cost would be the main factor. I will take an educated guess and estimate that costs would be close to $2,000 plus a wheel that would take a car tire, probably 53,000 all told.

After that, they would indeed be cumbersome and very heavy, both in sprung and unsprung weight. Harleys are already plenty heavy enough.

Then, as mentioned, the aesthetics of such a fork would stop most people. With a set of raked trees, you really don't need an LL fork anyway.

I would add the pricey paint job to match the front fender to the bike color.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 8/30/2012 12:17 PM I would add the pricey paint job to match the front fender to the bike color. Lonnie

Well my last HD I installed a set of factory adjustable trees that made a big difference from the stock trees then about 10 years ago I looked into a set of leading link legs for my 01 roadglide back then they were roughly $1400. plus shipping, you order them telling them the year, make and model of the bike and this is what you get....

They are set up with bike specific front fender mounts meaning you would use your original front fender no drilling holes or painting needed.

They are set up with bike specific brake calapers to use all of your original front brake system,heck you don't even need to disconnect the calapers from the master cylinder.

Basicly you would remove your fork tubes from the factory fork trees and install the leading link "legs" into the correct side re-install the wheel,fender and calapers. Yes I would agree that they are a bit pricey and the looks could turn some people off........but the handling is like power steering, personally riding a HD modified with a set I will tell you has it hands down over the modified trees it's like comparing apples to oranges.

But Like I said a bit pricey and the looks of them to some people.

Ten years makes a lot of difference pricewise and availability wise. Look at bike prices from ten years ago.

Lonnie