Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Older Harley sidecar on modern Harley Road King

Hi All,

I was wondering if you can put an older Harley sidecar from the 1980s on a relatively new 2009 Harley touring bike, like a road king.   I've read some posts and a lot of them just say to buy the manual.  Just want to make sure this is even feasible before buying the sidecar.

Thanks,

Tinkerer

You can if you do not mind doing custom fabrication. Nothing is available off the shelf . You also need to think about the brake, the early sidecar will have a drum brake rather then a disk brake. You might also think about if you really want to do this. All Harley sidecars even the very last one they ever built still had no suspension! Any modern sidecar (being anything built after WW2) will have suspension on the sidecar. Harley sidecars the wheel is ridged the body is on not dampened leaf springs. If you were to start over with most any of the made in America sidecars they will come with proper bike specific NOT universal mounts and when all is said and done, when you factor in what you can sell your current sidecar for you might be money ahead starting over.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

What year sidecar is it? The serial number can tell you the year of manufacture. If it is one made for a pre evolution it would be difficult.  An evolution era sidecar would be a little easier. Parts are available from Harley because I checked on an upper front mount a couple of weeks ago and they were available.

HDSIDECARRON

The Upper front is not the issue, it is the lower rear that is the issue.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks everyone.  The Sidecar VIN is 1HD8SDX10BT010045, which I am interpreting as a 1981 model due to the B in the 10th digit.  This would make it a Shovelhead sidecar, as the Evo came out in 1984 as I remember.