USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Older Friendship 3 help

Hello folks.

I just got an older Friendship 3 (smaller tailight), but have no idea of the model year.
This is my first sidecar and I plan to attach it to either my 1988 Venture Royale or my 2000 Royal Star Venture.
The previous owner had it installed on a GL1500.
Anyway, I need to see some photos or exploded diagrams to figure out what I may be missing for the interior and for the top. Seems I am missing a glovebox, lifting hinges for the windshield/top section and fittings for attaching the lifting gas shock for it, as well as, the body side rear lock-down tabs for the top frame. The lock-down tabs are on the body, but the matching pieces for the top section are missing.
Also, I have the top fabric and windows, but seem to be missing some sort of skeletal frame for it.
Appreciate any assistance.

Beau-Kat

There is a thread in the tec forum about parts for these sidecars. We can help with mounting hardware, and some brake parts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Thanks for the replies.
There is a lifting gas strut connected inside the passenger foot area on the left side down low in front of the inside pocket/pouch. But I see no means to attach the top of it to the windshield frame. This sidecar has external chrome hinges for the windshield. Maybe the previous owner started to add the strut as a custom fit. Unfortunately, that man passed away unexpectedly a few months ago and I just bought the sidecar from his widow. So, I can ask no questions about it on this end.

jaydmc - 1/14/2014 3:43 PM

There is a thread in the tec forum about parts for these sidecars. We can help with mounting hardware, and some brake parts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

I'm gonna try to attach some photos of what I have.
I only have the one clamp in the photo for the front upper connection to the frame.

Attached files

Also, has anyone seen a fuel cell like this? It says Champion Sidecar on it. I believe it looks like maybe a 3 gallon. I received it with a fuel pump from the seller. Don't know where he had it mounted with the GL1500.

Attached files

The oven clamps are only good for to make damage, try to get real hardware specific for your bike together with a stiff subframe.
2 cent from someone who has seen only few rigs with oven clamps but they were so twisted that they became dangerous. (specially in winter)
Sven

Beau-Kat - 1/21/2014 10:30 PM
... has anyone seen a fuel cell like this? ....

I suspect the fuel cell mounts inside the right saddlebag of the GL1500.

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

Your sidecar is the long frame version made for the GL1500, the fuel tank does sit in the right saddle bag of the bike, I suspect you would have no problem selling it to a GL1500 owner. Your frame clamps are the early type that were known to fail unless cross drilled and bolted which yours have been. Depending on the bike you go with we may have real bike specific mounting hardware.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Thanks for all the advice.
Someone on the Venturerider forum showed me a photo of his fuel cell in his right side saddle bag. The way the wing's bag opens really facilitates the fueling of the cell. Not sure about either of my Ventures' bags being so accomodating to the cell.
Thanks for the info on the clamps and hardware. Much appreciated. Just trying to get what I need to make this thing work right and be safe for my son(s) and/or wife to occupy.

Looks a lot like one my friend has.
 photo rightsidecar_zps263ee289.jpg