USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral discussion: Sidecar FAQNoob Question
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Noob Question

Thanks for all the responses. For various reasons I decided to skip this particular journey and I'm having it delivered. It'll be here Thursday.

Rogue

Steven,

For whatever reason, you've made a good decision.

Rogue - 1/3/2017 8:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses. For various reasons I decided to skip this particular journey and I'm having it delivered. It'll be here Thursday.

Rogue

How did it turn out?? 🙂

Turned out I was extremely lucky not to have flown down. When it was delivered here it would barely run, and by "run" I mean "sputter," and that only with the choke pulled all the way out and constant manipulation of the throttle, and zero load. So it effectively didn't run. Went through the fuel system (flushed the system, replaced the filter and rebuilt and sync'd the carbs), removed a HUGE mouse nest from inside the air filter, replaced the filter of course and did a laundry list of other maintenance and repair tasks. It checks out great now, and runs like a top. And I have no grievances, the owner just rode it occasionally and VERY short distances, I suspect it ran "OK" for her and something was dislodged in transit. And I got to know the bike a bit. Again, VERY happy I didn't try to "fly and ride."

While I had the bike and car apart I took the tub off and set it up from start to finish as if it were a new installation. Again, a very good learning experience.

As I mentioned in my original post, I didn't expect piloting a sidecar to be ANYTHING like riding a motorcycle, and still I was surprised at how "not like riding a motorcycle at all" it is. At first it was kind of daunting, it was like a constant wrestling match. Getting used to it, it's hella fun!

I've purchased a replacement tug, the 650 just isn't cutting it. Bought a low-mileage Vulcan 2000 (I'm addicted to them, this is my 3rd) and right now I'm swapping parts. The "Old" V2K will be relegated to sidecar duty, while the newer fresher one will be my daily rider and tourer. After I swap a hell of a lot of parts (aftermarket accessories, and I want the newer paint scheme with the sidecar. Quite a project.)

Bought the new bike-side mounts for the V2K from DMC (The workmanship is absolutely superb! and Jay generously allowed a charity discount since this is primarily for BACA use - thanks, Jay!). Both V2K's are currently stripped down and I'm using the little "Yamahack" as my daily rider (when it's not raining) so I'm getting lots of practice time in. I only have about 500 miles in the saddle so far, so I'm still extremely inexperienced with it, but but it's a hell of a lot easier than it was the first 100 miles. It's a kick in the pants, for sure! 🙂

Rogue

Also I am hoping to have the V2K project finished and connected to the car within the next 2-3 weeks. 🙂

Rogue