Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Non level sidecar frame

What might be the result of having a non-level sidecar frame?

Looking at the front and rear-----the sidecar frame is higher at its wheel side that it is at its motorcycle side by about 1-1/2 inches.
Imagine a line drawn from a 3 o'clock position to an 8:30 o'clock position on a clock face.

Looking at the side of the rig-----the frame is level.

I notice that the wheel has an outward camber relative to the tilt of the sidecar frame.

Being new, am wondering what is the effect, if any, while driving the rig.
The rig no longer pulls to the right or left after I adjusted the lean out.

Many thanks for any input.
Jay.

The car should be relatively even from side to side. Some have the left side (US) about a half inch lower than the right. This is to compensate for road crown. The wheel should be vertical to get the best tire wear. The bike should have the leanout. for negative steering effort on straighaways.

L.

Remember to check this with the bikes suspention loaded, I.E. with you on the bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Lonnie and Jay.

Many thanks for your input.

The 1-1/2" variance was measured with a person on the bike and an passengerless sidecar having a 75 pound ballast.
Leveling the frame at its mounting locations on the bike does leave an unsightly array of miscellaneous mounting clamps and tubes.
This is why I chose to omit those miscellaneous angled clamps and hardware.

The stock Champion Legend shock has an eye/eye dimension of about 12-1/2".
I plan on changing to a 11-1/2" eye/eye shock.
It seems that there is enough clearance between the tire and fender to allow this.

Am I trying to make two-wrongs-right or should it be best to leave as is and suffer the consequence of premature tire wear?

I would put the bosses and clamps back onto the sidecar, these are used for a reason, So you can align every thing correctly. With out these, even changing to a different tire will change how things sit, They also allow for you to set your alignment correctly.
Fix the mounts, not the shock.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30